Which shotgun should I keep?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in for the 1100. I also know people that grew up on pumps and prefer those. I grew up using dads 1100 and never really gave anything else a chance. I would stick with what you feal comfortable with.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you want to hunt? I do a lot of shotgun shooting and in my opinion i really value a screw in choke. a modified choke has worked for hunting for many years but i think you can improve on your options with screw in chokes.

i don't like a 24" barrel for hunting period.

between a 870 and 1100, which ones fits you best?, which one can you shoot the best? How does recoil bother you? I don't like recoil and lean toward semi-automatics for less recoil. both the 870 and 1100 are easy to fix and have a ton of parts and will provide years and years of hunting enjoyment.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
maybe I should be more clear.....I already have a home defense shotty as well as plenty of handguns. so I am strictly looking for a hunting/field gun and I know that the 1100 only takes 2 3/4 shells and that is my question. do I need 3 or 3 1/2 shells or is 2 3/4 enough? also in a field situation why are so many of you recommending a pump over a semi-auto?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
maybe I should be more clear.....I already have a home defense shotty as well as plenty of handguns. so I am strictly looking for a hunting/field gun and I know that the 1100 only takes 2 3/4 shells and that is my question. do I need 3 or 3 1/2 shells or is 2 3/4 enough? also in a field situation why are so many of you recommending a pump over a semi-auto?

If all you want is a good hunting shotgun, go for a Beretta auto. Soft shooting, smooth, fast cycling, with a stock that can be customized to fit you like a glove. They auto regulate to shoot everything from light target loads to heavy magnums without excess recoil.

This is the one I've been lusting after: http://www.berettausa.com/products/beretta-xplor-light-12ga/?F_All=Y

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Pump vs. semi is a personal choice, for the most part.

As to the 2-3/4" vs. 3": in my experience, it doesn't make a difference on upland game. If you want to hunt waterfowl, you'll want something with a 3" chamber. I've read all of the hype on the net about how you need this or that to hunt pheasant, but it isn't true. 2-3/4" field loads will take down pheasant all day long (providing you're shots are at reasonable distance). I was born and raised in north-central Kansas, and grew up hunting upland birds. I watched my grandad kill pheasant for years with 2-3/4" Federal Game Load 6's. I'm sure you're going to hear that you "need" a 3" chamber for upland birds, but it's not true. My brothers and I must have shot dozens of them with 2-3/4" 20 gauges, so don't let anyone tell you you "need" a 3" magnum 12 gauge for pheasant.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
h8ns8n said:

Again, keep the 1100.
Most recommend the pumps, because that is what they own, and are happy with them.
I have both pump and auto's from different manufacturers, as well as SXS, single shot and Over/unders.
The 1100 that I own has been in the field hunting everything from deer with slugs, to turkey, pheasant, and do on. I've taken a couple dozen turkey, and killed every one with a 2 3/4" round. Ive never killed anything with a 3" shell. I have guns that shoot them, just never seen the need.
Just about forgot, I'm not a serious waterfowler, but the times I've gone, my ducks fell just as dead as the guys shooting 3 1/2" stuff.
I don't take 60 yd shots at turkey, or anything. If it isn't close enough to kill cleanly, they fly off to be hunted another day. Screw in chokes are a big plus, so if you don't have them, try to find a barrel that is already threaded. It will be just as cheap as getting it done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom