White Oak Armament Barrels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually I misspoke earlier, the 16" is a mid-length. I have no idea if a rifle length could actually work on a 16" barrel, it seems that there wouldn't be enough dwell time, it might work with a suppressor.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm curious what they had to do to make it reliable. I've read on the interwebs that most have to make the gas port larger. So much larger that it pretty much negates the 'softness' of it being a rifle gas. I thought maybe if someone were to make one with a normal rifle gas port, then go with a lighter carrier and/or buffer, it might still be soft.

But like you said Dustin, I really don't see any advantage with a rifle gas over a midlength on a 16". If someone were to want a longer sight radius and 16", go with a dissapator, "dissy".

Probably want the "mock" dissipator. The original dissipator was a 20" rifle gas barrel chopped to 16". So rifle gas 16" was the original dissy.

Del-Ton makes a true Dissipator.
http://www.del-ton.com/Del_Ton_Barrels_p/bl1017.htm

Spike's makes a "mock" dissipator, mid gas with dummy A2 FSB at rifle length.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...6"+Mid-Length+GMP+5.56/.223+Upper&groupid=586

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could run an adjustable gas block to get the recoil softer while maintaining reliability. Just use red lok-tite to keep the adjustment screw from backing out once set.

Yeah but as mentioned earlier the dwell time still might not be enough to tune it to make it soft while being reliable. Oh well not like a ton of reputable manufacturers offer that config anyways, and probably for good reason. BCM was supposed to be offering a dissapator with mid-gas sometime in the future, but they were talking about it i think two years ago and still haven't made a move. I like the idea of a longer sight radius while keeping it 16", but I have really never needed it so probably won't ever go that route.

I just put an adjustable gas block on my 10.3" barrel, the Spike's micro gas block. It has a detent that you depress which frees up the adjustment screw, then when set you release the detent and its locked in place. I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet as my SBR stamp isn't here and I hate trying to shoot a pistol AR.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back to the OP's original question, 16" SS Midlength WOA has performed great. I am very happy with the performance and with around 4,500 rounds through it, it still shoots well. I really need to get out and see how it groups, but during 3 gun matches I don't have any problem hitting targets from 100 to 400 yards fairly easy with a Trijicon TR24 1-4x optic. I don't think you'll regret going with WOA at all. As mentioned earlier, Rainier Arms is supposed to have some really kickass barrels also but I haven't been able to try one first hand yet.

Here's a pic of my 16" SS midlength WOA.
[Broken External Image]

I know you can't really see the barrel because of the handguard. Its bead blasted.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back to the OP's original question, 16" SS Midlength WOA has performed great. I am very happy with the performance and with around 4,500 rounds through it, it still shoots well. I really need to get out and see how it groups, but during 3 gun matches I don't have any problem hitting targets from 100 to 400 yards fairly easy with a Trijicon TR24 1-4x optic. I don't think you'll regret going with WOA at all. As mentioned earlier, Rainier Arms is supposed to have some really kickass barrels also but I haven't been able to try one first hand yet.

Here's a pic of my 16" SS midlength WOA.
[Broken External Image]

I know you can't really see the barrel because of the handguard. Its bead blasted.

Thank you for the response. I think based on the feedback here, that I will go with the WOA. The Lilja is nice, but I can almost buy 2 barrels from WOA for the price of a Lilja.

On a side note, that is a pretty sweet picture of your rifle.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks man. I should be at USSA for the 3 gun match in a couple weeks if you want to try it out. To feel the weight and just look it over and of coarse shoot it. I got my barrel from Rainier Arms. Had a promo code at the time but that was several years ago.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You're trying too hard.

Trying too hard to do what?

I've always been a little fascinated by the dissipator type idea. I'm sorry if you were offended by me talking about it when the subject came up.

You'll probably ignore this. Oh well.

Oh, and sorry to the OP for derailing the thread. Thread pirate out.

i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Information_pirate.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom