White Perch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the ODW said they were coming, and I confirmed they are in Sooner Lake.
Went catfishing at the intake to the plant, where catching blues, is just about a gimme.
Caught two small eating size right off the bat, and then caught, what I initially thought was a sand bass. Something about it didn't look right, so I whupped out the Iphone, and found I was holding a white perch, and that they are considered an invasive specie. I was fishing in about 20 feet of water, and could not get a bait to the bottom before the minnow would get stripped off by the perch. ended up catching a dozen or so, leaving them on the bank to croak, before giving up and going to the house.
Its bad enough that Sooner Lake is infested with zebra mussles, now we have the white perch.
I read up on them. Seems on the east coast they consider them to be a really good eating fish. I only caught two that could have been cleaned. Others were too small.
They have been in the great lakes for many years, and according to biologist, they have contributed to the decline of walleye and sand bass in the lakes.
Seems in the spring, white perch eat nothing but fish eggs, preferring walleye and sand bass. They are also known to hybridize with the sand bass, and each female can produce 140,000 eggs a year.
Other times in the year, they eat anything they can catch, and will soon take over a smaller lake like Sooner according to the ODW.

Great news......:cry11:

kh496f

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So that big lake record striper recently caught from sooner could have also been pumped into the lake from the arkansas.. Or might have just been a really, really old fish from odwc experimental striper introduction days...

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis- I have known for some time about the white perch infestation in Sooner. Papa John and I have discussed it. I would love to catch a white perch just to see what one looks like then make sushi out of it for catfish.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went down there at lunch and caught a dozen white perch in 20 minutes. Got hits on every cast, but my jig was too big and they just bit off the tail. Two are big enough to clean, and the rest are in ziplock bags. Waiting to be sliced up for cut bait.
Can't say how long they will be on there, so if you want to come up deer slayer, now is the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom