Whitetail Deer Management in Oklahoma........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You and your buddy both!!!
Hunt my damn lease and kill the biggest buck ever off of it....
I'll get you while your sleeping.

Seriously, that's why I hunt alone and never bring anyone up to our place. A guest is always going to kill some super freaky nasty booner that no one has ever seen before.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Seriously, that's why I hunt alone and never bring anyone up to our place. A guest is always going to kill some super freaky nasty booner that no one has ever seen before.

If I would have had a rifle insread of a bow, the samething would have most likely happened on Dalyup's place, lol:)

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Na, I love seeing other people kill deer. It sometimes excites me more then killing one myself.
Both Josh and his buddy hunted my lease rifle cause I was in Mexico the whole time. Figured if we were gonna pay for it then someone might as well hunt it. Josh and his buddy neither had ever killed a good buck. Both of them killed their biggest bucks this past season on me.
His buddy killing a super nice 157" main frame 10pt

It made my year knowing I made that possible for them.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The deer the las two years in the Cookson Hills area where I hunt a private ranch have been low. My FIL an the other lease holders as well as the Ranch owner seem to see good deer sign and populations right up until mid Sept then it's like the deer go on extended vacation. I only saw on buck durning rifle season and he was young. My FIL saw several more but not worth taking. And of course, he was up at the lease last weekend and saw a lot of big deer. Hopefully things will turn around in the next couple years. I have been hunting on land for the last 14 years. My FIL for the last 40. Seems as though the herd is cyclical with the quantity and quality about every 10 years. Maybe we are at the bottom of this cycle.

I read a little on the DMAP you guys talk about. Does it really work. I mean, it seems like if you have a wildlife biologist come out and analyze the herd, who is to say his recommendations are what is needed. I'd bet you can get 10 different biologist to analyze the herd and you will get 10 different opinions on how to manage it. Does a biologist from a 100 miles away know what is best for a deer herd in a location he knows very little about? What are the benefits you all have seen using the DMAP program???

No expert here but I see too many "bubbas" taking too many young deer for what seems to be just so they can say they filled their buck tag. Before, a reduction from 2 bucks to 1 buck I'd rather see a minimum point requirement. I'd be fine with a minimum of 7-8 points be in affect for half dozen years to see what happens to the herds. Not exactly sure how much this would do to positively affect the deer herd but it surely would be more beneficial than killing a bunch of fork horns.

chevyboy123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Na, I love seeing other people kill deer. It sometimes excites me more then killing one myself.
Both Josh and his buddy hunted my lease rifle cause I was in Mexico the whole time. Figured if we were gonna pay for it then someone might as well hunt it. Josh and his buddy neither had ever killed a good buck. Both of them killed their biggest bucks this past season on me.
His buddy killing a super nice 157" main frame 10pt

It made my year knowing I made that possible for them.

Yeah it got me a deer I'm happy with, but my buddy got a once in a lifetime deer for him. That was pretty cool to watch.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read a little on the DMAP you guys talk about. Does it really work. I mean, it seems like if you have a wildlife biologist come out and analyze the herd, who is to say his recommendations are what is needed. I'd bet you can get 10 different biologist to analyze the herd and you will get 10 different opinions on how to manage it. Does a biologist from a 100 miles away know what is best for a deer herd in a location he knows very little about? What are the benefits you all have seen using the DMAP program???

DMAP is not an overnight fix. It may take years before results are seen. Each deer must be weighed, a jaw removed, and if its a buck, the antlers have to be rough scored. Biologist use this data to see the overall health of the herd in this area. They are't giving management opinions, they are gathering scientific date and looking at it over time. The goal is to improve the health of the herd, mainly by trying to get the optimum 1-1 ratio of bucks to does. It will probably never get there, but getting as close as possible is the goal.

Spotlight surveys are another great tool that is used. In September, a set path is traveled at night at the same time, and the deer are spotlighted and counted. Number of does, numbers of bucks, and the numbers of does with fawns, and does without fawns. When your doe population is largely made up of single does without fawns, its an indication that there are too many does for the bucks to breed. Not necessarily meaning you don't have enough bucks, just too many does. The biologist makes his reccomendation about how many does need to be removed from the herd using that data. The next year, the survey will show the results, and so on for years down the road, increasing or decreasing the numbers according to what the deer are showing.
The ODW biologists put out the numbers that need to be taken with great caution.

Latest posts

Top Bottom