Whitetail Deer Management in Oklahoma........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We'll you guys both disappointed me.......I was all set for some continued disagreement and now your sharing a room and having gay whitetail sex.....lol.... Anyway I tend to like the regs the way they are now, I have only killed 2 bucks in 1 year once, 2009, one on public ground and one on my farm, but I like the freedom/ choice if you will, to kill one buck early, and one late if I happen to get the chance. I too am more of a trophy hunter, I have 5 bucks on my wall that I am extremely proud of, but I also shoot does for meat and my family eats a bunch of venison. I personally don't allow spikes, forkies or such to be killed at my farms, unless it's a kid, but I try not to condemn others for doing so. But...... If you are a meat hunter... You should, in my opinion, shoot a doe, let the young, dumb bucks walk for the rest of us, I don't understand the non-management mindset of I will kill whatever I want, does are everywhere, young bucks, not so much, let em grow and shoot a doe.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya'll want to blame high lease prices on out of staters, but rich Okies are your real problem. Dalyup can back me up on this and can correct any of the details I may have wrong, but there were three guys from OKC who leased 900 acres between our places and, from what I heard, paid something like $27k per year for hunting rights. The place borders our east fence and Dalyup's west fence, and most of the land is "wetlands" or cow pasture. The "hunters" set up stands along the fences and were basically trying to draw deer off of us. They had pop up blinds literally tied to our fences, and they had the legs of a stand over the fence on Dalyup's place.

The guys that have the place leased now aren't much better and have stands facing into our place. Needless to say, I am very diligent about wearing orange.

Rich idiots are rich idiots no matter what state is on their license plate.

Spoken like a true out of state Texan! It's not us.... It's you..., spare me, just kiddin man, every State around is hunting here and yes we have our share of dumbass Okies, but they are at least Okies, I'll take them any day over a bunch of a Texans, Kansans, Missourians, or others that just come here to hunt because we have cheap tags. If we had some common reciprocity I wouldn't care, but we don't, I can't hunt in Texas, so I don't want Texans here, besides, other than South Texas, our hunting is better.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's 100% not practical, I was just throwing it out there, stirring the pot, whatever you'd like to call it, lol.

Oh I know it's 100% not practical wonder how OWD would lose in lic and tag fees for three years.but man I can dream,
and as somebody else said on here just because you let them walk doesn't mean the will be big bucks here is a couple of those bucks the one at the trough eating and the ten with his back to camera is at least 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 year old bucks and doubt either one will score 120,sure wish I could get them killed so they would stop breeding does even though I am don't sure how much that would help

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want the dadgum antlerless restrictions removed so that we can knock down a doe when we feel like it, and not just on the weekends, and give us a holiday season like everyone else.
This is something to think about. When we had the first buck only season in southwest Oklahoma, very few people had ever even seen a deer. We had the nine day buck season and we shot the first buck we saw. Now, every day of rifle season is a doe day and we get to shoot two. We also get to shoot another in the holiday season. Three does with a modern rifle. That's enough for me until further notice. I don't know why you guys in the east have more restrictive rules than we do.

When I let the little bucks walk it's a joy to my soul. I get to watch deer behavior instead of shooting them for hungry reasons.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spoken like a true out of state Texan! It's not us.... It's you..., spare me, just kiddin man, every State around is hunting here and yes we have our share of dumbass Okies, but they are at least Okies, I'll take them any day over a bunch of a Texans, Kansans, Missourians, or others that just come here to hunt because we have cheap tags. If we had some common reciprocity I wouldn't care, but we don't, I can't hunt in Texas, so I don't want Texans here, besides, other than South Texas, our hunting is better.

I will give ya'll this. As a group, you Okies are arrogant when it comes to your deer hunting, but I got news for you. I know at least a hundred guys locally who hunt Kansas, and I don't a soul in my area who hunts Oklahoma. They may flock across from border towns or DFW, but folks ain't doing nothing but fueling up in OK to get to KS coming from my area. Heck, I wouldn't hunt up there if we didn't own land.

This cheap out of state tag crap is a reoccurring theme in this thread, and I spent over $750 last year NOT TO KILL A BUCK OR TURKEY. I would bet the typical Okie hunter won't spend that much on licenses in 10 years and will kill exponentially more game. I would guess the ODWC likes guys like me who spend money and don't kill much.

I am working a lot now, but I will give ya'll fair warning. I am planning my October to spend most of the month in Byron, OK hunting for a trophy buck and probably kill a doe or three along the way. I may even try to lease some more land, so I can bring some of my friends up to hunt with me.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will give ya'll this. As a group, you Okies are arrogant when it comes to your deer hunting, but I got news for you. I know at least a hundred guys locally who hunt Kansas, and I don't a soul in my area who hunts Oklahoma. They may flock across from border towns or DFW, but folks ain't doing nothing but fueling up in OK to get to KS coming from my area. Heck, I wouldn't hunt up there if we didn't own land.

This cheap out of state tag crap is a reoccurring theme in this thread, and I spent over $750 last year NOT TO KILL A BUCK OR TURKEY. I would bet the typical Okie hunter won't spend that much on licenses in 10 years and will kill exponentially more game. I would guess the ODWC likes guys like me who spend money and don't kill much.

I am working a lot now, but I will give ya'll fair warning. I am planning my October to spend most of the month in Byron, OK hunting for a trophy buck and probably kill a doe or three along the way. I may even try to lease some more land, so I can bring some of my friends up to hunt with me.

Good luck! But if you want a REAL trophy buck, Kansas is where it's at. All these Okies killin' every spike they see has really stunted the herd. The only bucks in Oklahoma are under 2 years old. Besides, even the does in Kansas are much heavier than Oklahoma does - probably never reach maturity here.
Save your money, don't slow down on your way to Kansas, except to stop for gas (it's cheaper and better here), and have a great hunt!

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We actually have it pretty good as far as non resident hunters. Ya we have some, but we don't have near the problem as a lot of other states. Plus there is a lot of Okies that hunt other states like Kansas and Missouri. Hell I'm one of them....
As far as what we do have, most are from Kansas and Texas. The main reasons those guys come here, Kansas is a one buck state and those guys kill out early at home then come here cause they can hunt more for cheep. The Texas guys, it's not the rich texans we get. The rich texans can afford to hunt in Texas. It's the not rich or middle class texans that cross the Red because they can't afford to hunt at home.
If you don't believe me, post a nice big lease up on CL and see how many texans you get offering to lease it. Hell a few years ago i was looking to fill 3 spots on a lease, had Texas guys calling willing to pay for the whole thing just to come up for one or two weeks.

As far as Okies being arrogant about our hunting.
LOL
I hunt with A LOT of texans down in Mexico. There's not a more arrogant and slimy group of SOB's then a Texan around hunting!

Latest posts

Top Bottom