Whitetail Deer Management in Oklahoma........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to say I want proposed changes from somebody who actually has an education in wildlife and deer management. Not somebody who gets out 9 days in deer gun season if the weather is pretty and then thinks they have solid knowledge of deer management cause they spent 9 days in the field for 30 years. Blah blah

One other thing, hopefully Oklahoma doesn't sell out to non residents.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, some people get super riled up at other's opinions. C'mon guys, we're just batting around theoretical "what ifs."

I thought the same. I don't feel like anyone here has said "my way or the highway"

I am certain changes are on the horizon with how the state manages their herd. Until this past season, the State has never advertised things like "hunters in the know, let them grow"

For a long time, the states approach to WTD management has been quantity over quality. Just based on observances over the last few seasons, I would say that mantra is about to begin shifting.

I am afraid that it will take an act of congress to ever move rifle season out of the rut though. Which would be the largest change possible without stepping down to a one buck harvest. In fact, it may be a bigger change than going to 1 buck.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was moved a week we wouldn't be inundated with Ks hunters that hunt our deer for 9 days, then move back to Ks for their season.

I think it'd still be an issue.
Seeing how they get their early ML season (September) and a lot of guys are tagged out cause they only get one buck. Those guys would still be hunting here where they can kill two more bucks for $280 a pop.

Which gives me an idea!!!!
Why not one buck limit for NR and jack the price up to $400 like Kansas does us. AND make it draw only...
Like they do us!

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It wasn't a personal attack, just an observation as you seem to be pretty quick and firm with your opinions.. And frankly kind of aggressive in putting it out there. I'm opinionated myself, just somewhat less then others. As I read more then I post.. Note: 58 post. Besides a little heated debate never hurt anybody, and if I was calling you out, I would've started it with some joke about your momma .. Lol.. Jk. I would rather debate as I know we all will never agree on everything. Besides it would be kinda boring if we did.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I do know alittle about you, as I've been reading most of the regular post on here for years. Never said you were a bad guy, opinionated sure, but everyone here is at some point.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh I've never claimed to not be opinionated LOL
THAT, I most defiantly am! LOL
But in my defense, my opinions especially on stuff like this is usually backed by pretty heavy scientific data.

As far a debating goes...
Why you think it get on here?
Like you said, it'd be boring if we all always agree.

So, let's keep this debate/gathering of ideas and opinions going.
Anyone else have any fandamntastic idea of how to save the world of white tails?

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do agree with a lot of what has been mentioned on this thread, but I do feel like sometimes the allure of large antlers pulls out the negative in some of us. I'm getting to the point that I hate to hear people complain about the person shooting a little buck. Heck, we all started somewhere and I'm sure most of us didn't kill a monster our first couple of years out. But if you remember back to when you were first starting out, you only dreamed of a buck probably didn't really care if it was huge or not. I've unfortunately witnessed our drive for large antlers lead to some pretty bad things being said to some people at the hunter check in stations. I'm glad there gone to be honest. I set my own limits and goals but I no longer try to get everyone else to think like I do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom