Whitetail Deer Management in Oklahoma........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wildlife department should stick with managing the resources to fit the available habitat. Not allow those who choose to trophy hunt dictate what the rest of the hunting population harvest. Most people will have no interest in shooting a couple of extra does if it's a one buck limit. But if they have a chance to harvest a second buck there's a good chance they will continue pursuing deer through out the hunting season. Not that it matters, but I'm at a point in my hunting career where I rarely kill a deer if it's not a mature. I only killed a doe last year as I didn't see a mature buck. In over twenty years, I've never killed more then one buck a year. I mostly shoot does to balance the herd where I hunt. But that's my own personal imposed goal. I'm a meat hunter by nature but a trophy deer hunter by choice. But I'm against the one buck limit as I have young children who are taking up hunting and I let them shoot anything they want. I enjoy spending time with my children in the woods and don't want it limited by a one buck season. Some people around here are starting to sound like their self righteous/egotistical standards should be imposed on the rest of us. If you choose to be a trophy hunter so be it, but don't look down your nose at those who chose something different.

It is surprising to see how many folks would love to have the State enforce their ideas on everyone else. I manage the way I want, I sure don't try to tell someone else what to do, or get **the nice police officers**to force my wishes on someone else.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The wildlife department should stick with managing the resources to fit the available habitat. Not allow those who choose to trophy hunt dictate what the rest of the hunting population harvest. Most people will have no interest in shooting a couple of extra does if it's a one buck limit. But if they have a chance to harvest a second buck there's a good chance they will continue pursuing deer through out the hunting season. Not that it matters, but I'm at a point in my hunting career where I rarely kill a deer if it's not a mature. I only killed a doe last year as I didn't see a mature buck. In over twenty years, I've never killed more then one buck a year. I mostly shoot does to balance the herd where I hunt. But that's my own personal imposed goal. I'm a meat hunter by nature but a trophy deer hunter by choice. But I'm against the one buck limit as I have young children who are taking up hunting and I let them shoot anything they want. I enjoy spending time with my children in the woods and don't want it limited by a one buck season. Some people around here are starting to sound like their self righteous/egotistical standards should be imposed on the rest of us. If you choose to be a trophy hunter so be it, but don't look down your nose at those who chose something different.

That wasn't the purpose of the thread, I stated that in the first post.

It is surprising to see how many folks would love to have the State enforce their ideas on everyone else. I manage the way I want, I sure don't try to tell someone else what to do, or get **the nice police officers**to force my wishes on someone else.

Every game regulation that we have is State enforced...........and was their ideas.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every game regulation that we have is State enforced...........and was WHOSE ideas?

So why would anyone want to decide for me how I should manage the deer on my land? I've been "farming for deer" for about fifteen years now, and have introduced quite a few folks to their first deer, some bucks, some does. If someone wants to wait for a "worthy buck" (whatever they deem THAT to be) - fine. I sure ain't gonna tell you which deer you oughta kill. I guess I resent it just a tad when someone lobbies to try and get armed men to enforce what they see as fit rules for me to abide by, when it's really none of their business.
When the deer herd was VERY low (and I remember those days well), the strict limits, and nearly zero doe limits made a lot of sense. Today we have tons of deer, if you want a trophy, be patient, maybe you'll get one. From what I've read on this thread, just a little waiting, and your pretty near guaranteed one.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you guys not get?
The state already tells you what we can and can't do. They already set rulgulations on how we can manage. Hell we use to have a 3 buck limit, now just 2. We used to not be able to fill all of our yearly tags with a bow. Now we can.
We can only kill so many deer a year cause they tell us so!

I haven't seen anyone here try and force anything on anyone. Just a bunch of guys stating their opinions on what they like and wouldn't mind seeing.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So why would anyone want to decide for me how I should manage the deer on my land? I've been "farming for deer" for about fifteen years now, and have introduced quite a few folks to their first deer, some bucks, some does. If someone wants to wait for a "worthy buck" (whatever they deem THAT to be) - fine. I sure ain't gonna tell you which deer you oughta kill. I guess I resent it just a tad when someone lobbies to try and get armed men to enforce what they see as fit rules for me to abide by, when it's really none of their business.
When the deer herd was VERY low (and I remember those days well), the strict limits, and nearly zero doe limits made a lot of sense. Today we have tons of deer, if you want a trophy, be patient, maybe you'll get one. From what I've read on this thread, just a little waiting, and your pretty near guaranteed one.

Like you, I could care less what anyone shoots, I've stated that in many threads since 2010. I don't care what my kids shoot, I'm glad they're out there in the field. The state started managing their deer when they started the first deer season, and to this day, the game animals in Oklahoma belong to the state. You and I both are free to manage our deer herd by taking less than we're allowed, or by putting size/age restrictions on the deer on our property. Are you against having Game Wardens, or am I not understanding your post?

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you not get? I was just stating my opinion just like everyone else. But then again, if my opinion doesn't agree with yours. We all know you'll be sure to enlighten us with your ALL OUT wisdom..

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like you, I could care less what anyone shoots, I've stated that in many threads since 2010. I don't care what my kids shoot, I'm glad they're out there in the field. The state started managing their deer when they started the first deer season, and to this day, the game animals in Oklahoma belong to the state. You and I both are free to manage our deer herd by taking less than we're allowed, or by putting size/age restrictions on the deer on our property. Are you against having Game Wardens, or am I not understanding your post?
You're not understanding my post.
I don't understand why an individual would lobby to have the State change the laws, and enforce them, simply because they feel like more "trophy" deer could be allowed to reach maturity, and "improve" our deer herd. If there was concern about the health of the herd, low numbers, etc...I could see it.
As for Game Wardens, all I've met, with only one exception, have been perfect gentlemen.
I don't care for folks shooting pigs from helicopters. So what? As long as their not flying over my place and shooting hogs on my place, more power to them. I'm not going to try and get armed force to try and restrict their fun.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you not get? I was just stating my opinion just like everyone else. But then again, if my opinion doesn't agree with yours. We all know you'll be sure to enlighten us with your ALL OUT wisdom..

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize I quoted you in my last post.
Oh that's right, I didn't.
That post was just in general to the tread.

But since I'm obviously so egotistical and self righteous, let me look down my nose and say something else to y'all.

It's funny how when a trophy hunter or just someone who would just like to manage for a better buck herd talks about what he thinks wound help achieve that. Everyone wants to grab their pitch forks and crucify him saying he's trying to cram what he wants down other peoples throats and force them to do things his way. But when a meat hunter or just some guy wanting to kill a or any deer holds on to his pitch fork and voices his opinion, that's just fine. NO, he's not cramming his wants or beliefs down anyone's throat at all.
No that's not hypocritical at all.

The sad part about it is a lot of the complaining is just about guys not wanting to be told what they can or can't do. They start crying cause their state put in an Antler Restriction and now they can't kill a spike or fork and horn. Those guys that want and do shoot the 1.5 year old spikes and forks are also the first guys to stand up and cry saying theres not being any big bucks in their area.
Well no chit! Cause you kill everything you see with a speck on bone on its head.
The worst part about it, if a restriction was put in place where they couldn ONLY kill spikes and forks, they'd be the first ones to cry about that too.
It's that word "Restriction" that they cry about.
It wouldn't matter if the restriction helped them or not, if was guaranteed they'd kill a B&C and 10 does a year if they followed it. They'd still want nothing to do with it.

As for me and how I am...
Ask a ton of guys on here how many people I helped setup and tune their bows wanting nothing in return. How many times I offer everyone on here a place to shoot on my land for just the cost of coming and hanging out. Look back and read and see the offers I made to guys to come hunt on me for free just to try and help them get their first deer. Ask a few guys and see how many times I've brought them out if my leases with me for free just so they could have a great opertunity to kill a nice buck.
I also made the offer to pretty everyone here to come on the hunt if a life time with me on our ranch in Mexico for damn near nothing. A few guys took the offer and had a blast!

Don't try and come in here with your 58 posts and try and call me out like you know me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom