Who carries a "fat" revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone carry a revolver with a large caliber like .44 spec or a Smith .45 night guard or even a short barreled Webley? How do you carry and do you have any pros/cons like concealment issues, finding holsters, comfort, etc.?

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 2 chopped barrel 1917's. One has a 3.5" and the other a 2" barrel. They both have been CCed in one of these: http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Sourdough-Pancake™-.cfm?item_id=151&parent=669

Although I've yet to carry it, I also have one of these for a 4-5/8" SAA.
http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps6sar1.html

In addition, I have an EPS #77 & #88, along with a JW Orourke for 4" N frames that work good with a cover garment.

IMO, all are quite comfortable and carry the big wheel guns well.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my favorite "fat" revolver (.45 ACP)
OWB
[Broken External Image]
IWB
[Broken External Image]
Both conceal well and are very comfortable. Over the years, I've done others as well.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for the info! I was thinking of getting a .45 acp or .44 special revolver.

They're not too difficult to carry especially now with open carry. As in most instances, a good holster & belt makes all the diff.
I like IKenI's rig and am looking for a deal on a Ruger Montado with birdshead grip.
One thing about IKenI's rigs is that they have covered triggers where the mernickle doesn't. I firmly believe in covering the trigger. However, with single action revolvers I make an exception as I would never carry it cocked.
IMO, the S&W 625-10 would be a good gun if you're wanting a carry revolver. Even better if offered without the lock. Hence the 1917 I have with a -10 barrel. The other 1917 has the original barrel but has been cut to 3.5".
Academy's black Friday sale had Rossi 2.5", 5-shot, .44 mag for $260. I thought about getting one and using Specials in it but I just didn't want to venture down the Taurus/Rossi road. Not to hammer those that have though. If they're happy, I'm tickled to death. In the mean time, I will hold out for a S&W 696 or similar type.

Last edited:

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
photo.jpg
This inside the pants rig is made by Lobo Leather of Pueblo CO. http://www.lobogunleather.com/5_iwb_belt_loop_style The material is the optional horsehide, so its both thin and strong. It is comfortable as well as quick. I spec'd the optional inside and outside hammer shields to keep the sharp things off my clothing or my skin.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still thinking about it. I like the .45 acp a lot, but don't want the 5.5 in barrel. Did you have it cut down or did you buy it like that? I'm also open to carrying a lightning or thunderer, it all depends on how much cash I have after Christmas.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bulldog 44 spl is my ccw truck gun for those nights I stop somewere after work that I didn't plan on before I left the house with my sig 250sc 40sw and I want a gun as I go throug the parking lot.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still thinking about it. I like the .45 acp a lot, but don't want the 5.5 in barrel. Did you have it cut down or did you buy it like that? I'm also open to carrying a lightning or thunderer, it all depends on how much cash I have after Christmas.

That's a Lipsey's special run 3 3/4" bbl with Birdshead grips. Made blued or stainless, .45 ACP or .45 Colt. It's not my main carry but a nice break sometimes from my HK45c.

Latest posts

Top Bottom