Who knows about FN-FALs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know next to nothing about these rifles. I have a chance to purchas one and need some advice. This one has an IMBEL receiver. I beleive most of the rest of it is Israeli. It is a heavy barrel with a built in bi-pod and this thing is heavy. Has wood furniture and looks overall to be in pretty good shape. The owner has never shot it in the twenty or so years he has had it but says I can try it before I buy it. So is there anything to be aware of before I look seriously or is this something best left alone?

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont know much about them either, but last year at a gun show this kid had a Israeli heavy barrel FAL for sale. I think he wanted 2500 for it and he did get it sold.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, there are few FALs outside of the original Belgian made ones that aren't kits; if you can, find out who built it (if it's not built by an individual). Century has an ugly name, and there were some others of varying degrees of quality. Could be a Century (CAI), Enterprise, PAC, etc. If it's a Springfield Armory, they are considered one of the better ones (the Isreali version SAI built from imported parts, while the "standard" FAL from SAI was a factory Brazilian Imbel-built rifle - not a kit).

Depending on the price, you could run into a good deal; FAL prices right now are pretty soft.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Imbel FAL's built on Imbel gear logo receivers using Imbel parts kits are pretty high on the good list, if assembled by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm not sure about the Israeli kits though.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a bit. I would be happy to look it over for you, or send me a snap of it. The guys are right. Who built it is a of some concern, as is the number of US parts used in the build.

You can't go wrong with an IMBEL reciever. The "Gear Logo" IMBEL receivers are most coveted. Izzy HB kits have been rare for some time and command a pretty good price unassembled. The handguards should be ventilated sheet metal with wood grips in two pieces. It would be correct for it to have a wood buttstock, with a plastic pistol grip.

The correct charging handle would be forward assist with corresponding FA notches milled in the bolt carrier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom