who uses a decoy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWRhodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife bought me the Primos ScarFace for my birthday in 2009 and used it to for her to take her deer. I recommend using one during the rut. Be sure to wash it with scent free soap before taking it out to the field. Then I sprayed it down with Team Fitzgerald's Deer Dander and put some dominant buck urine behind it.

Anyways the day that she shot her buck, it was pretty slow and had the decoy set up right in front of us on a knoll. With the movement being slow, I decided to walk and try and push some deer out of the ravines. Then as I get back around where I can see her, I see her moving to take a shot and looked through my binocs towards the feeder and there was a deer. So I got the Primos Buck Growl out and grunted and snort wheezed and he saw the decoy and came charging in from 150 yds. straight to the decoy. Then my wife made the shot and this is what she got.

Didn't hunt last year due to being stationed at Guam, but this year I will bring ScarFace back out.

So I believe decoys work, but I prefer using them during the rut.

i1177.photobucket.com_albums_x353_SWRhodd_Missy2009.jpg

SWRhodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, when you set up a decoy be sure to have broadside to your setup. Bucks will usually approach it face to face, majority of the time. Or quarter it away from your setup. So just another piece of advise.

SWRhodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AllOut, the doe decoy I really don't see using unless you have a buck decoy with it. If you have both, its like a little bit of a bonus you could say. Just to intise one of those bigger bucks to coming into range. But carrying 2 decoys out with you and back with possibly a big buck to drag out, doesn't sound like fun; just too much stuff. But definately during the pre-rut and rut, I am all for using just the buck decoy.

The buck that my wife killed, we never got him on camera until the day before she shot him. And we had the cameras out for awhile. So when the rut is on and the bucks are cruising, you just never know when they will show. She shot him around 11 a.m. the 2nd weekend of gun season in 2009. And I have killed a few deer around noon during the rut.

So get a buck decoy, pack yourself a lunch and stay all day on stand...

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Dennis :) I used (Primos?) Ms. Noverember (~ $50) at the Salt Plains last year on the Dec. 3-5 hunt and she attracted deer both evenings. I had her sprayed down w/ ScentFree or whatever it is called. Does got real close to her, then would jump a bit - even stomped their feet. A 4 ptr wandered out to her w/ quite a bit of hesitation. It took him longer to get to her than the does. When he finally got to her and sniffed her rear end ... oh also had some esterous thingymabobs out near her, too, well, it was finally too much and he got real close sniffed her and bolted @ 10 yds and stopped. This caused the other 12 or so deer in the wheat field to get moving. He saw them running and he started back up again. The does came back about 10-15 minutes later.

I did not have any success in Perry earlier in the year during archery, but I think I over hunted that spot.

I'll be using one Ms. Niovember, if not two, on my 11/11-13 hunt at the same place at Salt Plains - there will be dead deer on the ground!

Latest posts

Top Bottom