Why are so many people so dead set against thumb safety's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer not to have a manual safety on my carry pistols because I learned to shoot on and train with a DA revolver and a DA/SA semi-auto without a manual safety.

I was thinking of getting a 1911 recently and rented one to try it out. I did a little drill where I loaded the mag, put the thumb safety on, put the gun on the counter in front of me, and then picked it up to do a double tap. 4/10 times I either forgot or did not take off the safety. The grip mentioned for a 1911 (thumb high, riding the safety) does not work very well for my Beretta 92G because my thumb ends up riding the slide release lever and the side won't lock back when empty.

It all goes back to training (or lack of training) and what one is comfortable and competent with.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no problem using a gun with a thumb safety for pistol competitions. However for concealed carry or other serious work I opt for a gun which will fire when the trigger is pulled without worrying about the additional thumb safety step.
I shoot 1911's and S&W semi auto's with thumb safeties in competition. The 1911's require downward pressure to remove the saftety while the S&W's require upward presuure toremove the safety. I would not wish to think about which gun I am shooting in a serious defensive situation.
I also do shoot Glock's in competition but prefer the S&W M&P9Pro for that type of firearm. To me the ergonomics of the S&W M&P line or the former S&W99/Walther P99 line have much better ergonomics than the Glock's. At one time I carried a Glock 36 in 45 AP but found it was difficult to conceal reliably. I have opted for the Kahr PM-9 with a very smooth and light DA trigger which is surprisingly accurate for a short barreled pistol.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of a thumb safety on guns like the S&W 4006 which is hard to disengage. Now on my 1911's your thumb right there I just can't see how it would be an issue and has never been for me, of course I carry cocked and locked. So it depends on the gun for me, the 1911's have about the best safety's you can get IMO.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"people do what they do or believe what they believe."

And with that thought, the whole discussion is pointless. If you believe a manual safety will get in the way, or get knocked back on, then nothing anyone says or does will change your mind. If you believe the oposite...well nothing will change your mind.

Gasp!

Michael Brown

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I only prefer thumb safeties on pocket guns, but only if I dont use a holster.

My thumb on the safety ensures a snag free presentation.....

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ahhhhh.... "THE" difinitive pointless "gasp!"

Most people think that a dog licks it'sself...because he can. This is incorrect!, it is because they don't have thumbs. See??? Thumbs can be useful :hey3:

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahhhhh.... "THE" difinitive pointless "gasp!"

Most people think that a dog licks it'sself...because he can. This is incorrect!, it is because they don't have thumbs. See??? Thumbs can be useful :hey3:

I was agreeing with you, difinitive.

I thought dogs licked themselves to impress people......

Oh well.........

Michael Brown

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Due to an old injury to my thumb on my shooting hand there is no way for me to reach the safety w/o using my other hand so that reason alone is why i don't ccw w/ a thumb safety.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh cooommmmeee on!!! That thumb thing is funny......."they do that cause they don't have thumbs"....Even a Hindu would think thats funny. (yes they have dogs over there also)

Oh and my bad, "The quintessential gasp!" Would have been much better

Latest posts

Top Bottom