Why have we bought Homeland Security 1.4 billion rounds of hollow-point this year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No they haven't.

Do a little research on how government purchasing contracts work...in particular IDIQ contracts...before doing the chicken little imitation...it'll add some credibility.

What SMS has hinted at, without actually explaining, is that the contracts mentioned "Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity" (IDIQ) are long term contracts with open ended delivery amounts - generally written for needs such as consumable supplies...like bullets for a security agency. Often used when an agency knows they'll need some amount over a baseline minimum but do not know exactly how much above the baseline.
SMS is pointing out that the amounts cited are probably not actual orders but rather contract caps or something like that.

I think DHS still bears watching - as does any domestic security agency - but the ammo amounts cited shouldn't be a big factor behind that.

I just noticed that dalesp has already posted basically the same info and assessment - my apologies for the double post

OliverKlohzoff

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody is mounting anything....they're just rubbing up against the speculation and hysteria because it feels so good.

mmmmmm.....infowars...mmmmmm.....heavy pant.....lots of booolits....mmmmmm.

A RFQ is not a purchase, it's a request for a quote...and I bet if someone did some digging beyond Infowars, you would find that the Social Security Administration has an Inspector General Branch or something similiar who's personnel have law enforcement authority and conduct investigations into things like fraud and theft....and...wait for it....they probably have at least 41 field offices (less than one office for every state in the union). Those LEO's have the same need to qualify and train on their duty weapon(s) as every other LEO in the country. Couple that with the upcoming end of the fiscal year (1 Oct) and folks are finishing up their spending for the year and getting ready to set/execute their budget for the next fiscal year...which always results in a flood of RFQs and RFPs.

But no, it probably is for the Iranian invasion, that makes much more sense...... :-/

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What troubles me most is that these bullets are hollowpoints, which is the most dangerous "cop-killer" kind. Why does anyone need such powerfull bullets? Makes you wonder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom