Why have we bought Homeland Security 1.4 billion rounds of hollow-point this year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You missed your calling as a street preacher red.

static.guim.co.uk_sys_images_Guardian_Pix_pictures_2011_5_19_1305805262592_End_of_the_world_007.jpg

Then again, maybe you didn't.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can buy overruns of ammo. The ICE load comes to mind. SMS and others are right. Maybe they should ship some to NYC for training. Just sayin'...

Caliyanks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not being Sarcastic, but do LE agencies use hollow point ammo for training?
I am a retired Army Infantry guy and the ammo I use for my rifle for example standard Army Ball.
I use Ball ammo or FMJ for training and Hollow's for my defense. (its cheaper, but never really saw it as much of a difference when thinking tactically)
I never really thought about what LE uses for training. I assumed it was ball or FMJ as well.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My bet would be they are replacing currently fielded fmj rounds with the newer barrier blind rounds which have better penetration through walls/glass, and just happen to be hollow point/soft point bullets.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When was the last time the government bought something and then didn't use it?

Step away from the Kool-aide jug for a second and do some research on your own.

Once again, DHS has not bought 1.4 billion rounds. They have awarded an IDIQ contract to a particular vendor to purchase ammunition as needed.

Normally, every purchase must go through a ton of hurdles and red tape prior to purchase...the buyer must solicit X number of quotes and submit specs etc prior to awarding a contract. You can see how that would be inefficient for something, like ammo, that gets purchased multiple times throughout a year or years.

IDIQ (Indefinate Delivery, Indefinate Quantity) allows a buying agency to identify ONE vendor that has the best combination of quality and price and buy those recurring items from them without having to get bids from other vendors. No money changes hands and nothing is delivered until a specific order is placed against the contract. BUT, in classic .gov fashion, Indefinate doesn't really mean indefinate...the bean counters insist on putting some sort of cap on those contracts.

Here's how it works in my current job. My shop uses prefab buildings to house airfield landing equipment. We buy 100's of them every year in the course of our attempt to replace the over 5,000 old and rotting shelters installed at airports all over the country. Could you imagine how much time and man hours would be lost submitting specs and soliciting bids from three building manufacturers every time we need to buy a building (each building is different), over 100 times a year?

Instead, we started the IDIQ process. Three vendors were given the specs we require and each submitted their bid. After an official review, one of those venders was awarded an IDIQ to make our buildings. Now, whenever we need a building, we submit an order, it gets reviewed and approved, gets sent to the vendor, and they get paid when they deliver the building. Officially it is an IDIQ, but the bean counters put a 5 year, $10 million dollar cap on it. When that 5 years is up, or we've spent $10M...the process starts over again.

The ammo contract works the same way. Everytime they need to by ammo for a training cycle, they can submit to their IDIQ vendor, instead of having to do reams of paperwork and request bids. It's funny that many folks who would be the first to jump on government inefficiency and waste are screaming about such a contract being used....IDIQ, if executed properly and impartially saves time and money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom