Why reload?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
cast your own boolits,range brass(9mm is all over the ground) voila,around 2.50 a box. makes shooting alot more enjoyable and you will shoot even more than you do now.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I am the biggest cheap skate here. I use J&K bullets unplated for 9mm. I hit the big gun shows and buy Russian primers from ammo depot. He is all the way on the east end of the QT center. They are 20.00 a box and I have very few FTF, but from time to time I do get them. I would not use this stuff for personal protection but I can go through the 9mm when I shoot. Others have said where to get powder and cases. If you must use jacketed bullets get them from precisiondelta.com. They have the cheapest prices out there, but I have to say that J&K bullets are very accurate and don't lead foul the barrel.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I am the biggest cheap skate here. I use J&K bullets unplated for 9mm. I hit the big gun shows and buy Russian primers from ammo depot. He is all the way on the east end of the QT center. They are 20.00 a box and I have very few FTF, but from time to time I do get them. I would not use this stuff for personal protection but I can go through the 9mm when I shoot. Others have said where to get powder and cases. If you must use jacketed bullets get them from precisiondelta.com. They have the cheapest prices out there, but I have to say that J&K bullets are very accurate and don't lead foul the barrel.

Only thing I can add to the above is that with Unique and the above bullets or plated from Tjconevera, you can load 9mm with free range brass or even paying $25/1000, you can load 9mm all day for cheap.

here is an example of how you could do it. http://tjconevera.com/109mmofprbr1.html

add primers and powder. you got 1000rds for roughly $150-160, and you only got to get the brass once. Next lot will run cheaper without your brass costs.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But I will add one more thing. That single stage press is great to learn on, but if you are like me and shoot 300 or so 9mm every time I hit the range you will be spending a LOT of time with it :)
On 9mm mixed range brass will give you some inaccurate loads if the case lengths vary a lot. I don't recall the minimum length right this second, but when I pick up new brass I decap and resize them then measure the lengths and throw the short ones out. 9mm is pretty fussy about case length and over all length since the bullet head spaces on the case mouth. When I pick up my own brass I measure it every couple of times I shoot it. But anyway have fun!

M

Mettalikatt

Thanks for the continued great replies guys! I have to order a pistol extension kit for my new Redding trimmer, as well as the 9mm pilot, but I'll be sure to micrometer the cases I plan to reload before they arrive. I took the plunge today!
i25.photobucket.com_albums_c78_mettalikatt_2012_05_28_20_52_15_431.jpg

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9mm and .223 are the least cost worthy to reload, but still sworth it to me. As superdave said, start loading revolver rounds and larger rifle rounds and it really starts to pay off.

This.... Kind of
Except those are the only two rounds I shoot that I don't reload for. I go through way to many 9mm and .233 rounds at s time to try and reload, for me anyway. The cost savings is there (but minimal compared to say my .264 or .300) but the cost in time it would take me defeats the purpose. Then again I single stage everything, I have an RCBS progressive that's been setup for .357 mag (the one pistol round I've reloaded for) but it's done nothing but collected dust for years.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
9mm isn't tooooo finicky.. a dillon square deal b press works wonders in 9mm. Someone with minimal practice but reloading experiance can easily knock out 400 rounds an hour, more once they get a feel for what to be watching for.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'd gouge my eyes out with a dull spork before loading bulk 9mm or .223 on a single stage!

I started on a Lee Turret, it's doable, and cheap. I have a Dillon 550 now for 9mm, .223, and .38/.357. Which make up the vast bulk of the shooting I do.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a small time reloader but I figure that if I fire the brass once, it's free after that. Currently I do most everything on a single stage or a turret that I manually rotate to the next stage. I've got all the parts to speed up the process but haven't yet mainly because I'm a bit paranoid on the powder charge stage and like to make sure I get everything correct. For me, it's about cost savings on the more expensive calibers. The cheapest .44 Mag I know of currently is $33 per 50 at Walmart. That's crazy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom