Wild Cherries...Do deer eat them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wondering.... On a new piece of land this year and we have about 5 acres loaded with cherries. I would assume they would eat them...but have never hunted around them. I've heard the leaves and bark may me toxic... but, the actual cherries that fall, i would assume the deer would love. Anyone hunted around them?

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lived in Orchard Country (SW Michigan) ...deer will strip bark and eat just about any kind of fruit/fruit tree out there.

Horses seem to have a lot of trouble with Cherry trees...

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember back in college a hundred or so years ago, my botany professor telling us that the leaves and bark of a cherry tree contains cyanide. The fruit is the only part of the tree that doesn't have cyanide.

Maybe not 100 years ago, but Cameron was still a college, not a university.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember back in college a hundred or so years ago, my botany professor telling us that the leaves and bark of a cherry tree contains cyanide. The fruit is the only part of the tree that doesn't have cyanide.

Maybe not 100 years ago, but Cameron was still a college, not a university.

Lots of plants out there that can be toxic but edible at certain times. Rubarb comes to mind.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The place I hujnt has a few cherry trees in the bottoms. I have never seen the deer eat them or any evidence they do such as tracks. But when the cherrys are falling like they are right now, I have noticed the hogs go nuts over them.

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I haven't seen any sign around them either. Now, they just really started falling last week...not sure if they had time to find them. They are in an area of the land that there has been very little sign in. I was just hoping they would hit it. I've got to assume they are better than persimmons. At least they are to me!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom