Wild Game Recipes ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For what it's worth - I've made gyros with 50% venison, 50% ground lamb. I'd have to dig up the recipe, but you add garlic, mint, black pepper, and run it in the food processor. Cook it kinda like a meatloaf, then slice strips off of it and brown in olive oil. Really good stuff, but my source for lambs dried up.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what it's worth - I've made gyros with 50% venison, 50% ground lamb. I'd have to dig up the recipe, but you add garlic, mint, black pepper, and run it in the food processor. Cook it kinda like a meatloaf, then slice strips off of it and brown in olive oil. Really good stuff, but my source for lambs dried up.

ohhhhhhhh ... I am drooling right now ... I'd give that a whirl with some "wild" meat ... just so we can stay on topic, ya know? :lookaroun

:wink2:

I'd really appreciate you posting that recipe ... What about goat meat?

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, I like my sauce kinda thick ... No comments from the peanut section ... :nono1: :rotflmao: but that doesn't sound bad. May have to give it a try ... and thanks because I forgot to put in a little detail in the prep ... brb ...

i.imgur.com_cWRoh38.gif

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ohhhhhhhh ... I am drooling right now ... I'd give that a whirl with some "wild" meat ... just so we can stay on topic, ya know? :lookaroun

:wink2:

I'd really appreciate you posting that recipe ... What about goat meat?

I'll find the recipe tonight when I get home. Never tried it with goat, but I'm gonna say no. I love goat, but it's pretty dry, just like venison. You really need a little fat for this one, and the 50/50 with lamb fills the bill.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2lbs ground deer
2lbs ground lamb
1 1/2 cups choped onion
5 tsp oregano
2 tsp black pepper
4tbls crushed dried mint (I usually add a bit more)
8 chopped cloves garlic (usually more here, too)
4 tsp salt
2 tsp Marjoram

Mix well with hands. Add a little at a time to food processor, along with small amounts of ice water. (the ice water makes it blend and "firm up"
After the whole mess is done, puy in plastic or glass covered container and refrigerate overnight. Bake around 350 - rotate if possible. You may want to slice some strips off, then bake some more. You don't want the center medium, you want it done.
Fry strips in olive oil (not much-just enough to keep from sticking). Serve on pita or rice - with cucumber sauce, and greek olives.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try this with a deer roast (or beef): Spray inside of crock pot with cooking spray first. Then place deer roast in crock pot, and sprinkle one packet each of au jus mix and ranch mix on top of roast. Then place some pepperoncinis on top and sides of roast-I use the sliced ones out of a jar.Then place a full stick of butter on top of roast, over the other ingredients; it will melt down as it cooks and make a "gravy". If you like a lot of gravy/juice, add a 1/4-1/2 cup of water around roast. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. I usually cook some egg noodles to go with this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom