Wisconsin protest, a sign of things to come?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bob..... Go to work for a major company --- ATT, Boeing, major electric companies.
When your there for 10 years and can't get off nights or Sundays.....you find out seniority sucks- when ya ain't got any.
There is some stuff you cant negotiate on your own, except your own behavior.

I don't like being slave labor. I've left jobs and careers that paid better than I make now. If I was working a job that didn't offer what I wanted/needed, I would leave it. I've never felt trapped in a job or career so bad that I had to have someone else stand up for me.
Seniority does suck when your a junior or a frosh. How does a union help you out of that situation?

Jack482

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bob..... Go to work for a major company --- ATT, Boeing, major electric companies.
When your there for 10 years and can't get off nights or Sundays.....you find out seniority sucks- when ya ain't got any.
There is some stuff you cant negotiate on your own, except your own behavior.

So you can't get a schedule you like with your employer....
Quite and get another job!
Let some who is willing to works those hours get hired on to replace you.
Don't like how your company is being run.
Start your own!
You will not find a country or state more conducive to the small business.
But if you insist on somebody else controlling your compensation without any consideration for your individual effort or skill by all means union up

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like being slave labor. I've left jobs and careers that paid better than I make now. If I was working a job that didn't offer what I wanted/needed, I would leave it. I've never felt trapped in a job or career so bad that I had to have someone else stand up for me.
Seniority does suck when your a junior or a frosh. How does a union help you out of that situation?

Seniority is about the biggest thing in a union contract
If you have the time... First crack and vacation choices
Scrapped etc . A correctly negotiated contract will give job selection, transfers etc to the qualified employee with qualifications

Post offices is a prime example..... Stay long enoug-pick your route... Wanna transfer to a dream job in Alaska? Senior qualified bidder gets it .
In a big organization it keeps the fair haired boy in check... You can't change a hire date sucking the bosses butt

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you can't get a schedule you like with your employer....
Quite and get another job!
Let some who is willing to works those hours get hired on to replace you.
Don't like how your company is being run.
Start your own!
You will not find a country or state more conducive to the small business.
But if you insist on somebody else controlling your compensation without any consideration for your individual effort or skill by all means union up

Loan me a million dollars and I'll start a line contracting business. Guys like you know all the answers

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PATCO called an illegal strike. Reagan exactly what he should do.

A few years later, ATC workers certified another union to represent them.
So, whats your point?

From what I remember "public safety" was talked about more than the strike being illegal. And that most of the public sentiment went against the controllers for striking in "hard times" when many others were out of work.

As we're already seeing unions are a target now because of the economy, if it keeps getting worse we'll see more situations like Camden where lots of police and firemen were laid off.
My point is, let's face it things can change and if the economy completely tanks being union, non-union, or "essential personnel" will make little difference when standing in a breadline.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unions or no unions good workers will always be able to find work. I belong to a union and other than taking my money every month I don't really know what it does. Locally we have great management and keep the union out of our business. I work for a huge company and except for two exceptions the union reps I have met are the laziest, most incompetent, most worthless workers out here. I could leave but honestly the union crosses my mind about 30 seconds every month, it matters that much. I stay because I enjoy my job, my co-workers (including management), and especially the schedule.

Latest posts

Top Bottom