Wisconsin protest, a sign of things to come?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seniority is about the biggest thing in a union contract

It's also one of the biggest flaws, too. I'm not in a union, but work in a union shop every day. The new guys with ambition are typically at the mercy of the long-time guys who know what they can get away with - some of whom are still employed only because of the union. I understand your point about and have seen the promotion of "butt kissers" in open shops, but I've also seen the lazy slackers - regardless of how long they've worked there - get the first walking papers when times get tough. With the union, these employees are like herpes: the company can never get rid of them, while the ambitious FNGs that want to work are put out on the street first if cuts need to be made. It's stupid.

And it's one of the reasons I've declined direct employment where I am now several times; working 2nd shift until the second coming isn't high on my list of things to do, as well as being target #1, regardless of how hard I work, if we have another dip in the recession.

pipefitter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
seems to me that the word union is being lumped to encompass all, in a trade union, we dont have seniority and all the other horsecrap of a shop.the contractors i work for CHOOSE to use organized labor.the reason contractors choose union labor is for the skillset of there employees.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys are missing the point. There is a systematic attempt to limit the rights of working people to protect themselves across the board. It doesn't matter if that is tort reform, limiting the rights of workers to collective bargaining, or any of the other abominations these so called "conservatives" are inflicting on the American people. Living in an oligarchy is just as unpleasant as living in a nanny state.

Pepper46

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
seems to me that the word union is being lumped to encompass all, in a trade union, we dont have seniority and all the other horsecrap of a shop.the contractors i work for CHOOSE to use organized labor.the reason contractors choose union labor is for the skillset of there employees.

I have seen some of the "skillset" of union employees.
Think I will stay with small private contractors who rely on their skills, both trade skills and people skills. They rely on doing a good job for a fair price to maintain their jobs.

pipefitter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen some of the "skillset" of union employees.
Think I will stay with small private contractors who rely on their skills, both trade skills and people skills. They rely on doing a good job for a fair price to maintain their jobs.

So you are saying a small union contractor does not do a good job
Have no skills in craftsmanship,and are higher priced with no customer skills?
You are not correct in my opinion and I disagree with your assumption
But you can believe what you want as will I .

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some contend our "chickens are coming home to roost". The pie that is the "American" way of life is shrinking, some will have to be sacrificed for the rest to continue. Some also contend that this is what happens when everyone is more concerned with themselves and clawing their way to a better spot in our contrived society as opposed to truly caring about our nation or fellow man.
Now we will likely pay a huge cost for what we've ignored and allowed from the elitist and criminals at all levels. Of course we know those above a certain level will not be hurt, they never are, but now many in the middle class could lose their spot and find themselves in a position they thought was only for the poor below them.

Board votes to dismiss all Providence teachers

[PROVIDENCE — After two hours of contentious discussion, the School Board voted 4 to 3 Thursday night to send out termination notices to each of the city’s 1,926 public school teachers.]

[More than 700 teachers jammed a high school gymnasium to tell school officials that their hearts were broken, their trust violated and their futures as teachers jeopardized.]

http://www.projo.com/news/content/PROVIDENCE_SCHOOL_MEETINGS_02-25-11_MCMMBSG_v26.1bd455c.html

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some contend our "chickens are coming home to roost". The pie that is the "American" way of life is shrinking, some will have to be sacrificed for the rest to continue. Some also contend that this is what happens when everyone is more concerned with themselves and clawing their way to a better spot in our contrived society as opposed to truly caring about our nation or fellow man.
Now we will likely pay a huge cost for what we've ignored and allowed from the elitist and criminals at all levels. Of course we know those above a certain level will not be hurt, they never are, but now many in the middle class could lose their spot and find themselves in a position they thought was only for the poor below them.

Board votes to dismiss all Providence teachers

[PROVIDENCE — After two hours of contentious discussion, the School Board voted 4 to 3 Thursday night to send out termination notices to each of the city’s 1,926 public school teachers.]

[More than 700 teachers jammed a high school gymnasium to tell school officials that their hearts were broken, their trust violated and their futures as teachers jeopardized.]

http://www.projo.com/news/content/PROVIDENCE_SCHOOL_MEETINGS_02-25-11_MCMMBSG_v26.1bd455c.html

What a political waste of time and dollars. A judge will invoke an order to keep schools open... and teachers paid until this all gets settled.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I did loan you a million
You would have to hire someone to do all your negotiating for you.
The building lease
The trucks
Probaly even your own wage and days off

No... see as a Union General forman (I spent a few years away from utilities and worked for contractors) I learned how to estimate, lease trucks, haggle show up leases, get permission for acess to Right's of way, and enforce union contracts with the work force. Plus bring work in on time on budget and at a profit and catch whatever engineering screw ups as "extras".

YOU will need to grin and bear it when we do go into business. We will be signatory contractors (cause we get the good insurance and pension too).. if we go union we can bid work anyplace in the country... call the Hall... fill a manpower list and get well trained workers to man our jobs. (but we are going to pay into the training fund and pay into the pension fund).

I hope your good for that $1,000,000.... I consider this a binding contract (:Heya:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom