Wondering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to stay on topic with any urban legends regarding salt, does anybody have any credible reports of ANYBODY ever shot with rock salt.

I loaded up some one time just to check it out, and the salt turned into dust at the shot. I was 20 feet away from a sheet of newspaper, and never got one penetration.

So, with that test in mind, I'm calling Bull hockey on getting shot with rock salt.

Wasn't there some stupid hollywood movie that had somebody putting cyanid in a HP? HAHA

I don't know about rock salt, but I've heard that the old urban legend about loading a shotgun shell up with dimes isn't true. Supposedly, the tests show that they just catch air immediately and don't have much mass anyways so it's very ineffective.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reading this reminded me of my Grandma.

My Grandma lived out in the country in Alabama and used to keep an old single barrel 12 gauge by the bed in her bedroom leaning against the wall. I asked her about it one day. She said that the shot had been removed from the shell and replaced with rock salt. I asked her why, and she said that she didn't want to kill anyone, just remind them that they didn't want to come back uninvited.

A few years later I was talking to my Uncle and the subject came up and he said that you didn't want to visit her after dark without invitation. (she never had a phone in her life) He said that he came by one night to check on her and she shot through the door as she heard him walking on the old wood porch. After him screaming and hollering "It's me momma, It's me," she finally opened the door and lit in to him cause he knew better. Adding insult to almost injury, she made him fix the door.

I sure miss that ol' lady.

Latest posts

Top Bottom