Woo! Hoo!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not Valle Vidal. I think that would be a once in a lifetime tag. I am going with Jon Cunningham, his son and my brother. Jon killed a good 5x5 in this area a few years ago with his bow so he has some experience there. My dilemma is that I should draw a Colorado Unit 76 archery elk tag also this year. My wife is wanting me to go to Germany with her to see our son in the Air Force about that same time. May have to drop the CO tag. Good luck in Montana Brian! That should be a great hunt. It would be awesome to get a deer and an elk.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many years have you applied for 76?

I have 10 preference points. I got this bull back in '05 there and been applying ever since for an archery tag. Back in those days it was only 4 or 5 to get archery and I got a first season rifle with 10 pts. They since changed the law and made it a lot harder for out of state guys to get tags.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes it's taking more pref points for sure. Should have only taken 2 or 3 to get in on Unit 20, this year will be 5, so hoping for the best.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it's taking more pref points for sure. Should have only taken 2 or 3 to get in on Unit 20, this year will be 5, so hoping for the best.

Yeah colorado and their dang point creep. It's getting harder and harder in other states as well for non residents to get tags in the draw. I know my sheep tags have astronomical odds of success in drawing. I'm really starting to think a young man would be better not "investing" in state draws and setting some coin back yearly towards an Alberta or alaskan sheep hunt. Expensive yes but the time and money invested in waiting out a draw seem worse to me now. Having to front that large of a portion of the tag or all in some cases helps keep some incentive in the game and applicants down but damn it gets expensive. In Arizona when I started applying for a strip Muley tag it took nine points. I'll have nine this year and it now takes 13. Could take 15-18 by the time I get to 15. I'm gonna keep applying till I draw there but some other states and species it's getting to where a non trophy unit looks more and more appealing every year. Hunting the fun western game is no longer as easy for non residents as it was when my dad was going a lot 20 years ago. Tags are more expensive and the draw odds really suck for some great units. Next year I'm going to burn some points in a few states just to get a tag and start an account to go to other parts of the world to hunt versus wasting years and dollars applying to hunt here. Thankfully states like colorado and Montana offer a good supply of otc tags so at least we can get our west every year.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Last edited:

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah colorado and their dang point creep. It's getting harder and harder in other states as well for non residents to get tags in the draw. I know my sheep tags have astronomical odds of success in drawing. I'm really starting to think a young man would be better not "investing" in state draws and setting some coin back yearly towards an Alberta or alaskan sheep hunt. Expensive yes but the time and money invested in waiting out a draw seem worse to me now. Having to front that large of a portion of the tag or all in some cases helps keep some incentive in the game and applicants down but damn it gets expensive. In Arizona when I started applying for a strip Muley tag it took nine points. I'll have nine this year and it now takes 13. Could take 15-18 by the time I get to 15. I'm gonna keep applying till I draw there but some other states and species it's getting to where a non trophy unit looks more and more appealing every year. Hunting the fun western game is no longer as easy for non residents as it was when my dad was going a lot 20 years ago. Tags are more expensive and the draw odds really suck for some great units. Next year I'm going to burn some points in a few states just to get a tag and start an account to go to other parts of the world to hunt versus wasting years and dollars applying to hunt here. Thankfully states like colorado and Montana offer a good supply of otc tags so at least we can get our west every year.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

I have hunted Colorado quite a bit with otc tags. I have quit it. If I can draw a Wyoming or New Mexico Tag, it has been a much more quality hunt. I have stopped going to CO unless I can draw a good tag. I think after I get the archery tag in 76 I will just start applying for a cow tag in good units and just cow hunt with the rifle every few years up there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom