Wood spool shooting bench

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell us how you anchor those seat posts when you get them all built. I’d think they would need some bracing, but I don’t know how you’re planning on attaching them.

I’d like to build one of those. Not sure “build” is the correct word there, but I’ve got a friend with a range at his lease and he’s currently using some cabbaged together tables & chairs.

I'd think a nice lag bolt would do the trick. One from the top and one from the bottom.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remembered this thread @adamsredlines and I was out running around and finally ran across the fellas putting up the high fiber optic lines. I asked permission to go get this and they said yes. Went back and got my trailer. Kinda hard to roll up on there with these dang stitches but I got it. Mother wasn't too happy with me but you know....oh well, she not too awful mad cause I'm still getting supper.
Thanks Adam.
20220605_171214.jpg
20220605_171144.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Seal the heck out of it. Check with lowes, Home Depot, paint stores etc for mistints on water sealers. Get a couple gallons, cause you’re not gonna care what color it is, and just dump it on it. It’s really soft pine and won’t hold up without it.
Nice snag @bigred1

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remembered this thread @adamsredlines and I was out running around and finally ran across the fellas putting up the high fiber optic lines. I asked permission to go get this and they said yes. Went back and got my trailer. Kinda hard to roll up on there with these dang stitches but I got it. Mother wasn't too happy with me but you know....oh well, she not too awful mad cause I'm still getting supper.
Thanks Adam.View attachment 277856View attachment 277858
Nice score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have used spools at the Ponca City gun range for years. As delivered, they last about two years as they are cotton wood typically and green wood. Unless one puts anti seize on the threads the nuts to tighten them back as the wood ages and shrinks will be rusted and locked up.
A suggestion is to use a 3/4" pressure treated sheet of plywood on top and bottom of a plastic barrel to create a spool that won't go away for over 50 years.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get these for free when I want, thought about doing that to one as I'd seen it last year but they have a lot of nails and staples in them and afraid of what it would do to my saw blade, I've got a couple now that we just use for tables in the back yard.
Sorry I know this old.. but I wanted to say something haha. What kind of saw are you using man? Circular saw, jigsaw, sawzall? Blades are cheap. I cut through nails and screws all the time. That’s what the cheaper blades are for. Put on your safety glasses/long sleeves and let ‘er rip!

Also I second everyone’s suggestions to seal it well, and the guys recommendation to cut treated plywood to fit. The outdoors is very hard on soft woods.

Cool shooting tables! Just don’t expect more than a few years before it starts to decay

Latest posts

Top Bottom