Wore out a pressure canner/cooker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a pin hole I the lid, never would have thought this is 70 years old.
I now will soon need another one

TTACH=CONFIG]46044[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• pressure canner 001.jpg
    pressure canner 001.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 246

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would need a pressure canner that could hold at least 6 quart jars.
Looks like the All American 915 would do the trick.

But it states that the All American uses NO seals. it is metal to metal.. or aluminum .

This may be a down fall if you get some pitting from using salts.. or am I mistaken.

Any way if the hole gets any worse I can drill/ tap it and plug it with a stainless plug

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used to repair aluminum pots with aluminum rivets, just drill for the rivet and set it firmly with a ball peen hammer and a large bolt as the backing bar. I've still got a good selection of aircraft rivets if you want to do it that way.. Let me know.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's aluminum, just take it to a place with a TIG welder and have them pop a bead on the back side. Might turn into a mess depending on the base material but I bet they could fix that!

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust repairing a pressure canner at all !
Also... why would you be using salts in a canner? The All American will last you a life time and then some. Instructions state that you should "lube" up the rim of the lid to help with the seal. I can a crap load of stuff and for years and have had zero problems with the All american.

Last edited by a moderator:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
good to know about the all American.
Salts are sometimes used when cooking meat and veggies in the canner for a quick dinner.
I have only used salts a couple times when cooking a big chunk of meat I just cut off the animal

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got this for the wife for Christmas and she loves it. Was on sale at the time for like $110 I think.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got one of those. I'll not use it for canning because it has no pressure gauge, but it is an awesome machine. The first thing I cooked in it was a 2lb roast and I filled the dang thing up with potatoes, carrots, onion and celery. About 1 hour total cook time. Ditto for a huge pot of stew. I did the best beef and noodles I've ever had in it. Beans are next.

I really need to get a pressure canner...

Latest posts

Top Bottom