Wore out a pressure canner/cooker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got one of those. I'll not use it for canning because it has no pressure gauge, but it is an awesome machine. The first thing I cooked in it was a 2lb roast and I filled the dang thing up with potatoes, carrots, onion and celery. About 1 hour total cook time. Ditto for a huge pot of stew. I did the best beef and noodles I've ever had in it. Beans are next.

I really need to get a pressure canner...
We did beans and ham hock last night, pressure cooked for about 30 minutes I think then let cool on its own and slow cooked another hour until the cornbread was done. Turned out great. We also did black eyes peas in 30 minutes a few weeks ago.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you guys use salt in yours?
any issues with that?
Of course 70 years later.
I do not think you would see an issue in the first 40 years.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We did beans and ham hock last night, pressure cooked for about 30 minutes I think then let cool on its own and slow cooked another hour until the cornbread was done. Turned out great. We also did black eyes peas in 30 minutes a few weeks ago.

They are wonderful when you decide you want a "slow cooked" meal and it's only an hour or two before dinner time. :thumb:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A tough skirt steak or chuck roast in the pressure cooker for about 45 minutes, shredded and marinated with enchilada sauce for 10 minutes, makes for a quick evening shredded beef burrito, or fajitas

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Realize when you are done cooking that tough meat do NOT remove the pressure quickly.
Let it cool down naturally and relieve pressure on it's own.
If you release pressure fast that tough meat will draw right back up and be super tough again and you will start cooking all over again thinking it is not done cooking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom