Worried about coyote pack in the back field

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KZinOKC

Marksman
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's posts and advice. I decided to not get involved with homemade poison bait. Many of you with experience say it's not a big deal. Since this is my first experience with coyotes, I'll let them be and keep an eye on my dog. I have enjoyed their singing when they get started up, all it takes is a siren from an emergency vehicle and that happens often.

Thanks for advice and the pm's sent.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run cows not far from that area and keep the coyotes in that area in check by hunting and trapping. But have had to use "bait" during calving season. I have way better luck trapping them than hunting them. I use beaver meat and tails and leg traps. All predators must be managed in the same manor as "game species". Unchecked proliferation of any species is BAD. Just look at what's happening with the gray wolf in montana , Idaho and wyoming. And people wonder why theirs not nearly as many elk and mule deer in those areas or why the elk have gotten more silent during the rut. The animals aren't stupid. People that don't want to kill predators are. And coyotes will kill whitetail fawns and calves.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unchecked proliferation of any species is BAD. Just look at what's happening with the gray wolf in montana , Idaho and wyoming. And people wonder why theirs not nearly as many elk and mule deer in those areas or why the elk have gotten more silent during the rut. The animals aren't stupid. People that don't want to kill predators are. And coyotes will kill whitetail fawns and calves.

I agree with your comment about unchecked proliferation of any species being bad - but that goes for all species, not just predators. Long before humans came along, nature had its own systems of checks and balances. If for example the elk population exploded one year because of abundant rainfall and subsequent emergency of plentiful forage, wolf populations would likewise go up a year or two later, and the elk populations would be reduced due to increased predation. The numbers of each rose and fell in synch.

Then humans came along, and that system went out the window to one degree or another. Ranchers set up cattle and sheep populations where there were none before, and started trapping and killing the wolves in their own habitat, and hunting the elk for food or sport. After a while, the wolves started attacking cattle and sheep because their natural prey base - the elk - were being displaced by humans. Then people started complaining that their livestock were being decimated and demanding removal of the wolves, without considering the effects humans have had on the ecosystem. Taking the short view, in other words.

These days, it's even more important that we learn to strike a balance between our livelihoods and the need to let nature take its course as much as possible. I for one am glad the wolves are back in some of their historical range, and I support any and all efforts by all parties involved - ranchers, farmers, wildlife management professionals, the public, etc. - to try and seek a compromise where all can live together without undue expense on the part of any. It's not a perfect process by any means, and mistakes will be made, but we owe it to posterity to do our best to accommodate nature - not just part of it, but all of it - while making a living.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this really anything to worry about?

No. Quit being a wimp. You're an Okie and you're worried about coyotes making some noise? Jeezum Crow. Move out of burbland if animal sounds bother you.

I have coyotes in my yard every night. One thing I'm going to miss when I move into town - I love hearing them as I lie in bed. I don't even know what this says about our society that hearing the sounds of distant wildlife makes us want to silence it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. Quit being a wimp. You're an Okie and you're worried about coyotes making some noise? Jeezum Crow. Move out of burbland if animal sounds bother you.

I have coyotes in my yard every night. One thing I'm going to miss when I move into town - I love hearing them as I lie in bed. I don't even know what this says about our society that hearing the sounds of distant wildlife makes us want to silence it.

Your moving to town??? That must be some really good nookie to get you out of the sticks and into urbanville.

KZinOKC

Marksman
Reaction score

What the hell are you talking about? You even read the posts? I'm concerned about them getting to my dog. I never said I was worried about them making noise..

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of you need to reread the rules

"We neither condone, endorse, nor tolerate any illegal activity of any kind, including but not limited to discussions of any illegal activity or blatent unpatriotic behavior. We strive to be 100% within the law and when in doubt, reserve the right to err on the side of safety.

Threads or replies encouraging any illegal/unethical action (like "Best way to kill neighbor's dog?") will not be allowed. "

Thanks

Rabbitcreekok

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I shot one coyote with one of my chickens in his mouth. I shot another one just before he got to another chicken. My Great Pyrenees dog killed another one on the prowl. A friend lost his Yorkie right in front of him in his yard to a coyote.

I lost three goats before I got a Great Pyrenees to keep them away.

They are just predators doing their thing, but they had best not do it to my critters. Let them hunt rabbits or something.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your moving to town??? That must be some really good nookie to get you out of the sticks and into urbanville.

Haha. I live in the fake country anyways - I just have 5 acres. I ain't gonna live in town forever, and I vow to move to the real country next time I do.

What the hell are you talking about? You even read the posts? I'm concerned about them getting to my dog. I never said I was worried about them making noise..

Yeah, I read them. That was just me being a jerk. There's nothing you can do about coyotes. I mean we shoot them, but that doesn't really do anything but give us a hobby. There's not much more adaptable than a coyote. I've never lived in a house I couldn't hear coyotes from every night, and I had dogs for most of my life. And chickens.

Keep an eye on your dog, or get a dog big enough it won't double as a snack to a 23lb wild canine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom