Worst Deer Hunting Experience I've Ever Had

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've killed my fair share of deer over the years, and never lost one. That streak ended last night.

I had 3 does step into clearing in front of me with about 20 minutes of daylight left. I ranged the biggest one at 32 yards and let my arrow fly. The arrow seemed to come out a little funny, and I hit her a little high and back. That's the first time I shot an arrow with a lumenok on it, and instead of focusing on where the deer was hit, I was somewhat mesmorized by the lighted nock.

The 3 deer bolted. I knew I hadn't made the greatest shot, but it did look good enough for a kill shot. When I got to my arrow, the shaft had blood about 8 inches up. I started looking for blood on the ground and couldn't find a thing.

My buddy met up with me and we started an intensive search. We did a grid search looking for blood until after 10pm. We did not find a single drop of blood! I couldn't understand how I had 8 inches of penetration with no blood on the ground.

Leaving the woods last night without that deer was one of the most dissapointing experiences I've ever had. I would have much rather missed, or just not taken the shot than to leave an animal wounded. I keep replaying the shot over and over and second guessing if I should have even taken it. But, I keep coming to the conclusion that a perfect broadside shot at 32 yards should be taken unless there is a gusting wind, bad weather etc.

I am just sick over this. I barely slept at all last night and wasn't worth a damn at work today. At this point I don't even want to get back in the stand.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it happens to alot of people. I haven't been deer hunting long enough to have it happen with a deer, but have a few on coyotes. I do agree it is sickening to experience. It happens to the best of us. It is a sad thing to deal with. There are always tons of things to think about in hindsight, but don't let it tear you apart. Deer are tough animals... you'll probably end up seeing here late season or next year with scar.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been there and done that my friend. I lost a really nice buck one season on opening day and was finished for the season. I still think about it every time I'm at the area where I lost him. I would get sick to my stomach and still do at times..Now for the rest of my opinion. I'm glad it bothered me and I'm glad it bothered you. All that means is we have feelings for our prey and we don't take them or their existence for granted. Hang in there..feel bad about loosing your deer but don't second guess yourself. You did nothing wrong..If anyone hunts long enough it's going to happen..Good luck for the rest of the season..

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You think that is bad...Last year I shot a doe during rifle season with my .300 Win Mag. She ran right towards and past me and I could see a grapefruit sized hole in her side in the kill zone. She ran out of sight and I started looking for blood to track her by...Nothing. Could not find a single drop of blood during a three hour search by three hunters. Had a messed up trail in the leaves that ran out after a few yards. We gave up on looking for blood and just started looking for the deer, figured with a hole in her that big she couldn't have went far. Never found her.

It really didn't upset me, I saw that I did everything right and made a good shot. It's like she was a freakin' vampire deer or something. It was not the first deer in the area that could not be recovered due to lack of a blood trail.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am just sick over this. I barely slept at all last night and wasn't worth a damn at work today. At this point I don't even want to get back in the stand.

The very fact it affected you like this is proof enough that you're the type of person that SHOULD be hunting. People who wouldn't get sick over this give me the creeps, and probably shouldn't be hunting.

Bowhunting is marked by incredible highs and incredible lows. Sometimes you do all you can and leave feeling as though you didn't do enough. Don't let it eat at you too much, and get back out there as soon as you feel like it. Redemption awaits and restored confidence comes with it.

Cheers.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's tough, you just have to dust yourself off and try again

I had a shot at easily the largest whitetail I've ever had a chance at two years ago right before rifle season. I'd seen him a couple times before but he'd never come close. This time I was ready, he stepped out and I hit my grunt and he bee-lined to me. I put my thirty yard pin on him and let fly. I thought for sure it was a good hit and I tracked him for about a 1/4 mile with just a drop here or there before the trail dried up. I searched all day and even had a guy come out to track him with dogs. The dogs weren't able to get any further than I did. I was crushed. I went back and replayed the shot, turns out he was about 35 yards out and I was aiming a little too low with the 30 yd pin anyway. I inspected the arrow and the scene with my father in law and he came to the conclusion that I'd probably nicked him across the brisket. I can only hope so but either way, I didn't bowhunt the rest of that season and I've sworn off that stand, I scouted out another place to hang out and I stay out of that area, call it superstitious but I couldn't sleep for a week after that. Funny thing is, as I tell the story it sounds like I'm bummed because it was a nice buck but I'd feel that way with any deer. I don't like the idea that I may have made it suffer.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It happens and it sucks. But it sounds like you tried hard to find her and that is all any of us can do. I have lost a couple and I hate it but it happens. I had one last year that I shot too high and he showed back up on camera in a month with a fresh scar. Coyotes have to eat too. Sorry you lost one but don't let it ruin hunting for you, sounds like you are the kinda person that should be out there.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you hunt long enough, it is going to happen. Too many variables. The deer can jump the string at the shot, take a step, you can hit a twig you didn't see, etc. We try to be ethical and careful but it happens and as someone else said, even to rifle hunters. My brother shot a doe at 15 yrds Sunday night and saw the arrow hit perfectly. He tracked her and had great blood coming out from both sides. He jumped her but could hear her gurgling as she ran off. Didn't find her till the next morning and the coyotes had gotten to her. She was hit perfectly....tight behind the shoulder and about 1/2 way up the body and the arrow exited right behind the off side shoulder. She had still covered 600 yrds and was still alive 45 minutes after the shot. They are tough animals and can do amazing things sometimes. Stay after it. You did your best and tryed to be ethical. It will happen again one of these days but the coyotes and buzzards have to eat too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about loosing one. I won't repeat much of what has already been said, but I would certainly recomend getting back into the woods as soon as possible. I've lost one with a good MZ shot several years ago, heard her crashing through the sunflower patch and finally silence. It got dark quickly, and I searched until the flashlight batterys quit.No Blood.
Got back out at daylight, after a sleepless night, and looked until noon. I did find the carcass a week later. The shot was high, and the blood pooled inside I guess. She had made a full circle, and was actually behind my stand. It happens.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one 2 years ago that I shot right at last light looked around with my flashlight and couldn't find anything but I heard the arrow smack her at 30 yards. Came back the next morning and found my arrow about 30 feet or so from where I hit her I was relieved to see it only went in about 2". Concluded I hit her right in the shoulder bone. I'm sure she lived to fight again.

Another time about 3-4 years ago my dad was rifle hunting. He only brought 3 rounds with him(they had to be a few years old themselves) he shoots a doe and kills her. He decides he will Wait the hour or so left of daylight before he gets up. While he is waiting a very nice buck comes in he pops him he drops. At this time he calls me to say he's killed a doe and a nice buck and needs me to bring a knife to help him while we are on the phone I here him say "sh:t I gotta go" he hangs up. Apparently the buck after laying motionless for a good 5 minutes starts to get up well pops goes to put another round in him and his last bullet goes "click". We looked for that buck until almost midnight brought a hound dog out the next day and still never found him. Dad carries more than 3 bullets now...

Latest posts

Top Bottom