Would you do this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you ever shorten a S&W from a 6 inch or longer to 4 inches or less?

• Yes

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • &^!% no!

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • maybe, depends on the model

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps you could buy a shorter barrel and just do a swap vs cutting it off, rethreading, etc. I'd think the barrel swap would be cheaper than the gunsmith fee's to get the machine work done.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perhaps you could buy a shorter barrel and just do a swap vs cutting it off, rethreading, etc. I'd think the barrel swap would be cheaper than the gunsmith fee's to get the machine work done.

Good idea!
I poked around a little bit, these won't be easy to find. Thankfully i have time on my side this time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good idea!
I poked around a little bit, these won't be easy to find. Thankfully i have time on my side this time.

I have a 7 3/8" barrel on a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag. I was going to get it cut to 5" for carry in Alaska. The smith here in town told me a swap would be cheaper, and then the gun could be put back to the original specs vs the cut/thread/etc routine.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
cut it shorter.
I see it like this,, You do not wish to have that length on it now and you want it shorter so you can use it for a purpose.
So if you do get another barrel what happens to the longer one you took off?

It stays in a drawer for 25 years or until you give it away.
If you cut the current barrel,, you find you do not like it,, you still will end up buying a barrel anyway.

My savage 10fp .308 had a 24" barrel.. I chopped it with a hacksaw to 21"
Then finished it while rolling it against a disc sander then crowned it with a marble.. accuracy was the same when finished.

Then a buddy from Arizona sent me his Brownell 11 degree crowning tool that is a hand tool.. Accuracy is way better than the factory 24"

That barrel was the softest steel I ever cut with a hacksaw.. it was like butter.
I would hack saw off with a new blade and crown it and blue it with some cold blue..Done.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Folks chopping barrel's, rechambering, and reshaping of grip frame have cost us several model's of revolvers(S&W) to become almost extinct. Model's such as the 38-44, 25-2, and other's. So my answer is no do not go cutting on the barrel, just find the model you want with the barrel you want. I don't even like changing the barrel out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom