Would you turn in a friend for poaching?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I definitely don’t want to NARC on them. I just get frustrated when I spend time in the field scouting and putting up stands and spend money on tags that don’t get filled when there are people who don’t spend the money at all unless the shoot something. The first buddy and his family have about 160 acres they hunt and it’s a free for all. They will shoot anything and everything that looks like a deer. From what he’s told me it’s not uncommon for 5 of them to kill 20 or more deer over the 4 day thanksgiving weekend. I’ve pretty much avoided him since that opening weekend of bow season.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends how good of a friend he is. If a really close one, like family close, I would talk to him/her and try to convince him/her to stop. If they continue, they are not your friend. Sorry but I would not turn a close friend in. I wouldn't be a friend if I did.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not hunt with them again, ever. If it was the above mentioned scenario, (buying tag after kill) I would tell them if they ever pull that crap again and I heard about it I would turn them in. I would make sure they, and anyone else present, knew my opinion of their ancestry, lack of genitalia, and their significant others promiscuity in very colorful terms then I would leave and never hunt with them again.
If it was on my lease, if they were lucky they would get a chance to remove their #$%* and never set foot on the property again.

I would definitely tell the landowner if its private land though. The NEED TO BE TOLD a poacher is hunting on their land. If you owned the land, wouldn't you want to know?

Now if it is somebody jacklighting, shooting out of season, over the limit or something along those lines, I would be turning them in in a heartbeat. NO second chance for those offenses. I would turn ANYBODY for the above instances, the FIRST time.

I wouldn't be worried about the "not much of a friend" gradeschool BS. Not worried because guess what, you ain't my friend no more.

I always hear through the grapevine stories of poachers and jacklighters. I have never turned one in because I don't have enough evidence. If I did, I would. I would not take the reward either.

Not much pisses me off more than a poacher. Especially jacklighters and over limit on bucks.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of variables that have pretty much been covered, follow your conscience. These guys, however, have no integrity and I certainly wouldn't hunt with them, or trust them as friends anymore.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've lost a couple of good friends to being lazy and road hunting or just being stupid and making me not feel safe around them and ya know what I have found others to go hunting with that have a clue as to the real meaning of just doing what your supposed to do while hunting and making others feel good about hunters. I had one close friend in HS that we hunted all the time, he was a bit on the shady side and did a few things he probable should not have done and I started loosing places to hunt that we had hunted on for a long time due to his not so traditional ways of hunting, stopped hanging out with him and hunting with some other folks and funny how I started getting the places I used to hunt back.

You have to be careful who you hang out with or just hanging out with those folks can get you, just for knowing and hunting with those people your tagged as the same even if you don't do the same stupid things they do your still part of the gang. Sooner or later spending time with those folks could get you into trouble! lifes about choices and the only person that can make the choice about how you live your life is you! sounds like it's time to make a choice about your life before someone makes a descision you may not like for you! Later,

Kirk

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I didn't realize that poaching was as bad a problem as it apparently is here in OK.

I've run into more poachers (and heard more stories) this year than I ever have before.

I fear it will only get worse as the available land shrinks and more and more out-of-staters come in to hunt.

I think there should be some sort of legislation making it a felony at a certain point if you get caught poaching - then if you get caught, you've got real prison time and if you're caught with a firearm after being convicted as a felon, the stakes are way higher.

Latest posts

Top Bottom