Would you turn in a friend for poaching?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt N.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Around here poaching seems to be taken about as seriously as speeding. Personally I don't hang around people who behave like that morally. They will bring you grief sooner or later one way or another.

When I first moved out here I was hanging out in the gun shop when a guy declared "We don't poach deer here in LeFlore County!" "We, smoke 'em, grill 'em, or fry 'em but we would never poach one!"

I guess that is why we have fewer doe days and even though we have so much public land the hunting isn't so geat.

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that you should only have to buy a tag once you've killed something...But I follow the rules and bought mine beforehand, but it seems alittle wrong to me.

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Around here poaching seems to be taken about as seriously as speeding. Personally I don't hang around people who behave like that morally. They will bring you grief sooner or later one way or another.

When I first moved out here I was hanging out in the gun shop when a guy declared "We don't poach deer here in LeFlore County!" "We, smoke 'em, grill 'em, or fry 'em but we would never poach one!"

I guess that is why we have fewer doe days and even though we have so much public land the hunting isn't so geat.

Tell me about it...Haven't seen a deer yet, but Weavers says he's got so many deer he can't keep up with them all. Nice to see someone else from Leflore county on here, thought I was the only one.

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would dive a wedge in the relationship... Integrity issue.

+1

Don't hunt with them again and tell them why. Life's too short to let "friends" put you in moral and ethical dilemmas.

+1

Funny you brought this up. Had a chance to go with my buddy this weekend but passed on it when I found out he wasn't going to buy his license or any tags before hand. It would have been fun to hang out and shoot the breeze and some deer but like I told him, I have too much to lose and so does he. I don't know how one could have fun out there and not be worrying about getting caught. That doesn't sound like fun to me. Real friends care how your life turns out.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I concur with the majority here, since they are at least buying the tags they aren't full-fledged poachers, yet, but they aren't too far from crossing that line. My true feelings about poachers aren't appropriate for a "family-oriented" forum such as this. :nono1:

Regarding the purchasing of tags and licenses, I've come to appreciate their true purpose, to help US, the hunters and fishers, manage our wildlife population so that we will not be subject to the whims of the legislative process. The money we pay cannot be re-appropriated to other purposes, and since the ODWC takes no funding from the legislature they can't use the funding as a way to control ODWC's behavior. In effect, I'm paying a relatively small fee that funds conservation based on good science.

The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation is the state agency responsible for managing fish and wildlife, The Wildlife Department receives no general state tax appropriations and is supported by hunting and fishing license fees and federal excise taxes on hunting and fishing equipment.
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com

"In utilizing and conserving the natural resources of the Nation, the one characteristic more essential than any other is foresight.... The conservation of our natural resources and their proper use constitute the fundamental problem which underlies almost every other problem of our national life."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address to the National Editorial Association,
Jamestown, Virginia, June 10, 1907.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a relative, but a co-worker several years bragged about how many quail and pheasant he had road hunted, and shot from the window. After about two years of this, I was at Burger King on time, and they had those crowns on the counter to give away. I got one, and during lunch when about 50 people were in the lunchroom, I got up, made an announcment that I had to "crown" the King of road hunting maggots, and dropped the paper crown on his head. Pissed him off, but I don't think it stopped him.

craigkindlesmith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard the question about guilt by association asked and answered (by a warden) in class. Basically, once you know or help in taking game illegally, you can become an accomplice, not an innocent bystander. If you knowingly let him illegally transport the deer in youur truck, well....

The statements above about felony charges from shooting a deer illegally are exaggerated, but a fine would usually be assessed. If he's a habitual offender, then that brings on more talk.

I'm going to jump in here with a "Kinda" reply. The statements are "Kinda" right.

First thing..... All hunting charges are misdemeanors. State of Oklahoma says that you cannot be an accessory, or accomplice, to a misdemeanor.

So.... that being said. If you're huting with a partner, and the partner is not legal.... he's in trouble, not you. As long as you are legal too.

If he takes an illegal animal, or doesn't have the proper tags or licenses.... and you help him dress it, or transport it, or any of the sort..... then you have made an overt act to participate in the crime. That means you are actually committing the crime too. So you get the fine too.

Second part..... again no hunting violations are felonies. You could be charged with a felony while hunting (ie You shoot another hunter while out in the field) and you can be charged with Manslaughter which is a felony, but in Title 21, not Title 29.

Now after all that..... next time you're out with him, in the woods, and he doesn't have his liscense..... take his rifle, so you don't damage yours, and beat him severly about the head and shoulders with it. For being a cheating Bass Tard and for putting you at risk like that. We all work too hard at what we do to have every jerk out there taking illegal shortcuts. I bet he also takes ever little 6 point that walks out in front of him too, right?

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I read all the post, but don't think I read this approach.

Let the game warden know where you are hunting and ask him to come and check EVERYONE'S tag and license.

If you are legal then you have no worries.

Latest posts

Top Bottom