Your consensus on the AGI gunsmithing program

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think here re cheper aternatives out there and I thik it is a little sloppy for what it costs. From What Ive seen of it. If youre not to far away, Murray State in Tishomingo has a gunsmithing program that looks pretty good.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about the program but I have some of their individual gun videos and they are good. They are quite detailed and show you how to build an
ar-15 or ak-47 etc. They offer discounts too, if you are patient they will offer them to you. They have webcasts too which are interesting.

Josh Smith

Marksman
Reaction score
Hello,

I was a member of the AGI. They had some good stuff but you had to look for it. Still have my membership card someplace, but it's expired as I said.

Learning from videos really is not a good way to go. Lots of folks like to teach. I was recently asked by one of my former high school students (I sub when I have time, usually for the high school I attended) to teach him "Everything I know about guns". Yup, be glad to! He's 19 and I'm 34.

I learned off an older gunsmith gent. Spent most of my time fitting parts in old, cracked 1911 frames and such that he had laying around, and repairing .22 rifles. I had just started the real work on pistols when he up and died. I do miss him.

Come to find out that his level of perfection was far and above what other, more recent gunsmiths expect. I had to know how to make parts for obsolete guns, for example, and how to harden them acceptably and how to use a file and stones. There was no MIM that I remember.

If you can find any teaching from a person like that, treasure it! That type of work is going away all too fast.

What I'm trying to say is, find someone who wants to teach their skills. I find locally most gunsmiths love sharing out knowledge! Find a retired gunsmith and just ask questions.

Even if you don't get hands-on, chances are you'll learn more from the retired gunsmith's words than you will a video.

Josh

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I joined them in order to take advantage of the discounts offered and because their newletter often has unsual guns featured. Their videos are good if you want some detailed information on how to clean/care for and do minor "tuning" (I am hesitant to say repairs). The "how to assemble" videos are also useful IMHO.

However, I agree that if what you want is professional gunsmith-level knowledge and skills then videos are not the best way to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom