Your friendly neighborhood OSHA violation :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen a jack stand shoot out from under a car before, lucky the tire was under the frame and stoped it from going to the ground. I like to have a extra something under the vehicle if possible.
When I was first working on my own running car, back in 1974, I had the 1963 Impala SS up on cheap thin-wall tubing jack stands. Heard this high pitched "creeeeee" sound, and looked at the jack stand nearest me. It was slowly folding one of the legs. I rolled out from under the car just before the jack stand collapsed. Went out that day and bought much heavier jack stands, and made space in the garage to work on the car. This was in Clovis, NM, back in the day. The locals would have cheered about a GI getting squooshed.

Was on the "grass." Ground was pretty hard, but apparently not hard enough. I'm at least trainable, so never did that again, either.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
This one made me scratch my head hard. Almost made me wish I’d worn my brown pants. Thought some of you might get a chuckle out of it. I don’t think 2x4s are meant to handle 10-25k pounds. But hey, at least these didn’t split this time. Gotta love shift work.
Shoulda put the stands on top of the wood.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a friend in college whose boyfriend was disabled when a jack failed and the wheel of the car he was working on crushed his chest. Some say he was lucky he didn't die. He disagreed with all of them but was unable to do anything about it due to his injuries. He went from being the nicest, happiest guy on the planet to the exact opposite -- angry and miserable beyond belief. He was the guy who caused me become pro-choice in the Right to Die Movement before there ever was such a thing.

savage_samsquanch

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend in college whose boyfriend was disabled when a jack failed and the wheel of the car he was working on crushed his chest. Some say he was lucky he didn't die. He disagreed with all of them but was unable to do anything about it due to his injuries. He went from being the nicest, happiest guy on the planet to the exact opposite -- angry and miserable beyond belief. He was the guy who caused me become pro-choice in the Right to Die Movement before there ever was such a thing.
I can’t even imagine..

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What the hell is on the stands that weights 10-25k lbs? My crew cab 4x4 truck only weighs around 6k, so each jack stand would only be supporting roughly a quarter of that, half at best. So realistically, for each of those stands to be supporting 10k-25k, you've got a vehicle that weighs between 40-100k lbs. I'm more concerned about the jack stands and the jack used rather than the 2x4's honestly.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Note to all / PSA:
Jack stand weight capacity is given ***PER PAIR***, not per stand.

So if you have a jack stand that says "3 ton" on the stand, each jack stand is rated for 1/2.

I did some RV work replacing brakes, doing one wheel at a time. I used my 2-ton jack stand for the job. Afterwards, I found out about the 'per-pair' rating - I realized that my jack stands were at 100% capacity.
I've bought some much heavier duty jack stands since then.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought my jackstands from an Army Surplus store way back in the 90's. Rated to support deuce and a half according to the plate.
Young and dumb, used only a bumper jack to raise the front end, had tires off and not under the frame. No blocks under the rear tires. I saw it start to roll off the bumper jack and crawled out in time.
I don't get under vehicles anymore, but when it happened after that, there were triple safety's before getting under one.

savage_samsquanch

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What the hell is on the stands that weights 10-25k lbs? My crew cab 4x4 truck only weighs around 6k, so each jack stand would only be supporting roughly a quarter of that, half at best. So realistically, for each of those stands to be supporting 10k-25k, you've got a vehicle that weighs between 40-100k lbs. I'm more concerned about the jack stands and the jack used rather than the 2x4's honestly.
New flyer 40 ft transit bus with 6 cng tanks on top.

Latest posts

Top Bottom