Z71 Tahoe 2002-200? - Opinions Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i agree with big mike. check out the 2000 z71 old body yukons. they threw every option on them to move the old body's out. fender flares,nerf bars, brush guard, two tone heted leather, roof rack. only available in champaign,blue,green and i think red, but bad ass trucks with some of the last 5.7's in them. damn, now i'm feeling bad for selling ours

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on my experience with a 2005 avalanche which is built on the same frame and has a v8 engine;
You can expect 18mpg on the highway.
You can expect 12 mpg in the city.
Lots of acceleration if you need it.
Increased personal safety in collisions due to the size and weight of your vehicle.

I don't like the mpg but I do not care to risk my safety in a smaller lighter more fuel efficient vehicle.

That's why I chose it, acceptable mpg and excellent safety.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son has a 2004 Tahoe with 137,000+ miles. He has had it tuned and normal things replaced w/no probs. He is driving it "till the wheels fall off"( his quote).

A great SUV, I wouldn't mine havin' one myself.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We have had two tahoes and a suburban. I'll tell you this if you can stand it being a slightly larger vehicle get a suburban option for option they are almost always cheaper than a tahoe but are essentially the same vehicle.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not get the 5.3.... They are crap. Mine burns a quart of oil every 1500 miles. GM says it falls within their QA specs and is not an issue. ********!

I've got an 07 suburban with the 5.3 I got it at 25k miles and it currently has 102k. The engine is significantly underpowered for such a large vehicle. I would go back and get the 2500 with the 6.0 if I could do it all over.

I know of several others who have the 5.3 and all say the same thing about burning oil and being underpowered.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an 03 Tahoe 4x4. It has been a great truck. The gauges are the only hiccup. I used the guy in muldrow. Back like new. The guy that owns the oil change place where I take it has tried to buy it a couple of times. His wife has an 03 z71 with over 250 on it and he was looking to get mine to replace hers. Mine only has 130k on it. I have never heard anybody say a bad word about those models. Put together in Texas and they are good trucks.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do not get the 5.3.... They are crap. Mine burns a quart of oil every 1500 miles. GM says it falls within their QA specs and is not an issue. ********!

I've got an 07 suburban with the 5.3 I got it at 25k miles and it currently has 102k. The engine is significantly underpowered for such a large vehicle. I would go back and get the 2500 with the 6.0 if I could do it all over.

I know of several others who have the 5.3 and all say the same thing about burning oil and being underpowered.

Thats odd I've owned 4 of the 5.3 engines, one in a truck, two in tahoes, and one in a suburban. None of them burned a lick of oil or seemed under powered. Maybe the newer ones are neutered mine were all between 99-2002. Actually the tahoes seemed to be a bit peppier than the suburban and the truck.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats odd I've owned 4 of the 5.3 engines, one in a truck, two in tahoes, and one in a suburban. None of them burned a lick of oil or seemed under powered. Maybe the newer ones are neutered mine were all between 99-2002. Actually the tahoes seemed to be a bit peppier than the suburban and the truck.

Could be the newer models... They friends all have 07 or newer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom