Z71 Tahoe 2002-200? - Opinions Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For whatever reason, I keep having this thought in my head that it might be a good solution type vehicle for me right now.

I've heard they get pretty good mileage on the highway (18mpg).
I can tow a small trailer with it if necessary.
I can lay down the 3rd row seats to haul larger items.
It has plenty of room for me + 3 kids and another person if need be.
Looks good.

It looks like there are quite a few of them available from years 2002 on up...
Many of them have pretty high mileage and claim to have no issues.

What I don't know about is any problems to look out for on these models or if there are inherent issues with them.
I'm seeking opinions from those who have them or have had them or have worked on them.

Thanks guys!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got an '04 and it's great. Minor issues, nothing major I know of. I've got about 145k now. Many many of them I've heard of 200k+ without any major issues.

The main problems with mine are some HVAC blend door actuators, rear heat/AC and some gauge problems with speedo and such. These are pretty common problems. Nothing bad from a drivetrain standpoint.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got an '04 and it's great. Minor issues, nothing major I know of. I've got about 145k now. Many many of them I've heard of 200k+ without any major issues.

The main problems with mine are some HVAC blend door actuators, rear heat/AC and some gauge problems with speedo and such. These are pretty common problems. Nothing bad from a drivetrain standpoint.

Cool. Thanks. The drivetrain is the main thing I'm worried about... I'm seeing a bunch of those years with anywhere from 130,000 up to 200,000 miles on them out there... I'd probably want to find one as low miles as possible but still want it to be reliable and capable of pushing some more miles before I trade it off.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have an 07' tahoe 2wd had great luck with it it just broke over 100k. its not the best on gas, the only things i have done to it is plugs, 1 transmission line, belts, a fuel cap, a vent vacculator for the emissions on fuel tank, and repaired several door dings. get the 5.3 they are great!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have an 07' tahoe 2wd had great luck with it it just broke over 100k. its not the best on gas, the only things i have done to it is plugs, 1 transmission line, belts, a fuel cap, a vent vacculator for the emissions on fuel tank, and repaired several door dings. get the 5.3 they are great!

'07 is the newer gen, which, while still a good vehicle, will likely be very different in a lot of ways from the '02-06 range.

Love my '04, though. Also, there's a guy in Muldrow who does the dash gauge repairs for about $100 for new motors for all of 'em if anyone else has that problem. Supposed to be 1-day turnaround, and he does a ton from all over the country. I'm sending mine in soon.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly if you want a rugged long lasting one look into one from 97-01' (GMT400) before the LS series motor & new body styles. I absolutely love the LS series platform but the rest of the typical issues on the newer body styles are a big PIA honestly. Plus you can grab one cheaper too. I have 2 now, my 97' Z71 ECSB & just bought my wife a 99' Tahoe to replace her POS 2005 Trailblazer. The Trailblazers are plagued with alot of the same electrical issues as the rest of the GM/GMC trucks/SUV's sadly. Whats funny is the 99' Tahoe gets better gas mileage than the Trailblazer did too. My wife cant believe it.

I have beat the crap outa my truck since buying itwith over 200k on it & it runs like a champ. While I constantly see newer models broke down on the sides of the highway. Maybe it's just me but my personal preference is to buy a little older to get better built. Everything now is plastic & throw away, older you go more solid rig you'll get. Thats my .02 anyway.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. So far it's sounding like they will run a long time with no bigtime problems to be wary of. I like the sounds of that very much.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My boy has a 96 Z71 Tahoe that has about 250k on it and it runs great. We just sold our 2003 Z71 Suburban about 2 months ago. It had just rolled 117k and still ran great. I have a 2001 Z71 truck that I bought in early 06. It had about 100k on it when I bought it. I am about to roll 183k and it still runs great. I replaced all of the u-joints about 4 years ago and replaced the alt. last year. Other then that, I have just done basic up-keep. I plan on driving it until it goes down on me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom