Z71 Tahoe 2002-200? - Opinions Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not get the 5.3.... They are crap. Mine burns a quart of oil every 1500 miles. GM says it falls within their QA specs and is not an issue. ********!

I've got an 07 suburban with the 5.3 I got it at 25k miles and it currently has 102k. The engine is significantly underpowered for such a large vehicle. I would go back and get the 2500 with the 6.0 if I could do it all over.

I know of several others who have the 5.3 and all say the same thing about burning oil and being underpowered.

I have had good luck with mine. I got a new 2500 in 6.0 for a company truck and the cam went down at 19k. It was under warranty, but still let me down. It sucked on mpg too.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could be the newer models... They friends all have 07 or newer.

GM has had alot of trouble with the 07 5.3 motors. I don't know what they changed, but I do know they have alot of problems. I just bought my 16 year old a 07 Silverado with the 4.8 and it has been great so far. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Honestly if you want a rugged long lasting one look into one from 97-01' (GMT400) before the LS series motor & new body styles. I absolutely love the LS series platform but the rest of the typical issues on the newer body styles are a big PIA honestly. Plus you can grab one cheaper too. I have 2 now, my 97' Z71 ECSB & just bought my wife a 99' Tahoe to replace her POS 2005 Trailblazer. The Trailblazers are plagued with alot of the same electrical issues as the rest of the GM/GMC trucks/SUV's sadly. Whats funny is the 99' Tahoe gets better gas mileage than the Trailblazer did too. My wife cant believe it.

I have beat the crap outa my truck since buying itwith over 200k on it & it runs like a champ. While I constantly see newer models broke down on the sides of the highway. Maybe it's just me but my personal preference is to buy a little older to get better built. Everything now is plastic & throw away, older you go more solid rig you'll get. Thats my .02 anyway.

Funny you would say that we traded our 01 suburban for a 2003 envoy expecting better mileage but I think we might be lucky to be getting 14mpg in the piece of crap.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys are really making me want one of these even more... and educating me on what specific years/engines to steer clear of.

Thanks!!! Keep 'em coming, so far so good!

Point and Laugh

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had 5 of them, from '94 thru 2002. The 02 has a 5.3 motor. The rest were all 5.7's. The 94 was a 2WD Suburban. The rest all 4WD Yukon's and Tahoe's. I won't recommend the 2WD, it just seemed kinda cheap and light duty. I sold it at 260,000 miles. No real complaints or problems from any of them. I would say they are good for 300,000 miles, or until my 16 year old gets ahold of the keys, whichever comes first.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an 02 Tahoe 4X4 flex fuel, it knocked from 60K miles. At about 90K the top end of the motor got rebuilt, 10K miles later it knocked even worse. The motor was under powered, and did not get great gas mileage. I don't just drive around town, I drag a boat with it in the Summer and trailer with a quad on it in the Fall. I would not buy another one.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an '07 Tahoe, but it wasn't a Z-71. I pulled my camper to New Mexico and back with it, averaged 9mpg. Without the camper it averaged just over 20, 'till I put some Cooper tires on it, and the mileage dropped to around 18 or so. I don't know if the 4wd's have the same short turning radius, but my Tahoe would turn on a dime. Much easier in the parking lots than the pickup I traded it for. I guess mine had the 5.3 engine, never had any trouble with it at all, but I didn't put 200,000 K on it either. Still had less than 70,000 when I traded. I miss it, may trade my old '97 Chevy work truck for another Tahoe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom