Zimmerman Prosecutor wants to add lesser charges, including child abuse....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe it is within the judge's authority to "instruct" the jury to consider lesser charges. Is it right? I don't think so, but it is lawful and common.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe it is within the judge's authority to "instruct" the jury to consider lesser charges. Is it right? I don't think so, but it is lawful and common.

And to add to what you said: it's also part of the prosecutor's job, whether we agree or not with the issue going to trial.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well ... anything can happen if the judge says it's okay ... Of course, if she's making history in Florida (setting precedent) that's valid grounds for appeal. I've said all along that I didn't think the prosecution's heart was in this case. It's really been mishandled from the start, from what I've seen.

In the end, none of this would be happening now if Zimmerman hadn't followed Martin. This is a cautionary tale for anyone who believes that participating in a neighborhood watch means you are "covered" ... In the end Zimmerman may get a favorable verdict (and then again he may not) but regardless, his life has been (and will continue to be) affected adversely because he put himself in a position of having to pull his weapon and shoot somebody. If he had NOT followed Martin down that side yard NONE of this would be happening to him now.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the end, none of this would be happening now if Zimmerman hadn't followed Martin. This is a cautionary tale for anyone who believes that participating in a neighborhood watch means you are "covered" ... In the end Zimmerman may get a favorable verdict (and then again he may not) but regardless, his life has been (and will continue to be) affected adversely because he put himself in a position of having to pull his weapon and shoot somebody. If he had NOT followed Martin down that side yard NONE of this would be happening to him now.

I agree in theory, however, had he NOT followed him and Martin committed a felony in which someone died, Zimmerman would never forgive himself either. It is a double edged sword. I had a recent situation where my dog had been bit by the neighbors dog that had no shots. Instead of letting us quarantine him, the took the dog out to shoot it and dump the body, leaving my son to have to go through the rabies treatment. Dispatch told me not to follow. I listened and let the deputies try to find him. They never did. I will NEVER follow the dispatcher like that again, I will follow the person, not engage, but follow. We did end up tracking them down through cell phones before the killed the dog, so we were able to quarantine the dog for 10 days. No dangerous shots for my son and the dog didn't have to die. I am just saying, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well ... anything can happen if the judge says it's okay ... Of course, if she's making history in Florida (setting precedent) that's valid grounds for appeal. I've said all along that I didn't think the prosecution's heart was in this case. It's really been mishandled from the start, from what I've seen.

I agree BB, BUT being followed does not give a person the right to attack another person. He still had the right to defend himself. In my opinion if martin had never attacked him, this would have never happened.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree in theory, however, had he NOT followed him and Martin committed a felony in which someone died, Zimmerman would never forgive himself either. It is a double edged sword. I had a recent situation where my dog had been bit by the neighbors dog that had no shots. Instead of letting us quarantine him, the took the dog out to shoot it and dump the body, leaving my son to have to go through the rabies treatment. Dispatch told me not to follow. I listened and let the deputies try to find him. They never did. I will NEVER follow the dispatcher like that again, I will follow the person, not engage, but follow. We did end up tracking them down through cell phones before the killed the dog, so we were able to quarantine the dog for 10 days. No dangerous shots for my son and the dog didn't have to die. I am just saying, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Ahhh, well, that's a good point too. And I totally agree with the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" ... especially if you are a Latino guy who has a "caucasian" name -- and you shoot a black "guy" who turns out to be a minor ...

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You mean until Martin backtracked , and jumped Zim, as he was going back to his vehicle.....jusayin.... ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom