Zombie Apocalypse: Initial Government Response

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing that is rarely detailed in the Zombie fiction is what the initial government response would be to a zombie outbreak.

Would they cordon off and quarantine the area of initial outbreak? Send in troops to extract non-bitten civilians and/or search and destroy missions?

Of course, I know that a lot would depend on the pathology of the zombie virus. If it were as fast acting as it was in the WW Z movie, that would present a completely different scenario. For our purposes, assume it's more of a Walking Dead/Night of the Living Dead virus. You get bitten or killed and then you turn, but it takes some time.

How do you envision a government response? (Other than the standard "Effed up, like everything they do." Spare us that please. This is a SERIOUS (:wink2:) zombie thread.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
By the time the government has a handle on the fact that conventional medicine can't control the zombie problem, there would be no concentration to nuke. there would be widespread outbreaks. Then, of course, the nukes don't kill them all so no we have radioactive zombies. . . problem officially made worse.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with soonerwings.

If its a bonafide, knock down drag out brain eatin' shamblin along turn the living zombie out break nail it down fast with a however many 50MT hydrogen bombs it takes to turn a 50 mile radius area into glass - literally - turn it into glass.

Of course by the time the goobers in goobermint figured that out they'd have to quadruple the bomb count 'cuz by then they'd need to sterilize a 100 mile radius area.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The government will drag their feet and the infected area will spread to fast.

Obama with blame Bush for the outbreak!

LOL ... yeah, I can see this happening. That, or Kerry will give them all until Monday to go to Canada ... after that he'll cut off their food stamps ...

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've kinda pieced my theory together from several zombie apocolypse books. There'll be a huge flashy show of force that'll use lots of our war machine (battle of Yonkers for those that have read WWZ) but will ultimately be defeated. Then in desperation large population centers will be nuked/fire bombed (Day by Day Armageddon) which will vaporize the zombies in the area but ultimately be more damaging to us than to them. The US will collapse in chaos and become a series of city states (kinda like Woodbury but also The Stand).

I highly recommend reading in order of greatness
Plague of the dead (series never finished bc author died) by Z A RECHT
World War Z by max brooks
Day by day aramageddon j l Bourne

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heed Caojyn's advise on zombie apocalypse books, but be warned, there are A LOT of crappy zombie apocalypse, and for that matter, Star Wars, books out there.

Buyer beware.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I heed Caojyn's advise on zombie apocalypse books, but be warned, there are A LOT of crappy zombie apocalypse, and for that matter, Star Wars, books out there.

Buyer beware.

Yes!!!! Not all zombie books are created equal and very few follow the Gospel of Romero

Latest posts

Top Bottom