Zombie Apocalypse: Initial Government Response

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every answer so far is invalid JB because you haven't given enough info on the "outbreak" and thus what might be needed or effective. I was a military planner for years and if I received a vague order like "plan for the zombie apocalypse" the first thing I'd start doing is demand specific planning assumptions and guidance. That is absolutely necessary to plan - assumptions may turn out to be wrong but are necessary in the absence of facts.
So, what are we discussing? Breakout in the US or overseas? Origin of problem - virus, space radiation, or supernatural influences? Fast moving "Rage virus" type zombies or shambling Night of the Living Dead types? Localized problem when recognized or already widespread? All of those type questions (yes I know this isn't real) need to have facts or agreed upon assumptions associated in order to allow planning. Here's a big one - can the "infected" (assuming a virus) be identified before succumbing? Anyway you get my point. BTW - to those who say no response would work - have you wondered why tanks weren't used to flatten whole masses in cities at once in the Walking Dead? Seems a lot better than firebombing cities to me. Also, a free market response could make sense depending on the exact nature of an outbreak but it could also be completely inappropriate if the ZA is along the scale of WW-III just like a free market approach to Pearl Harbor and Nazi Germany. That's my two cents on mixing fantasy and reality.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the problem of "zombie outbreak" would be solved easily by private means if it was allowed to. However, before this can happen, the State will declare that only the State can solve this problem, and will engage in massive theft and deprivation of liberty in order to solve it, which will cause other problems that only the state can solve, and so on.

Substitute any other crisis for "zombie outbreak" and this dynamic will still hold.

I'd bet you've read most of Matthew Bracken's novels. If not then you should - you two have a lot in common. (a good thing)

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The trick of a full-scale zombie outbreak is that it spreads quickly and EASILY and kills relatively fast. You can outrun a handful of zombies, but in most of the stories, a crap-ton of people turn overnight, there isn't a 2-week period where it escalates, it just boom happens.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They'd probably just die laughing, just like I do everytime I come across a thread like this one. How does the government respond to something that cannot ever happen? Well....

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We already know how the government will handle a zombie outbreak. They'll issue EBT cards and send them campaign bumper stickers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom