‘Hood Disease’ Threatens Inner City Youths

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a "Hood" disease when we were kids. We spent too much time under the hood of our car working on speeding it up instead of doing our chores. Symptom was dad's boot in our butt.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find it apalling that parents and families living in these conditions don't do something about it. If my neighborhood were suffering the same issue and the police didn't do something about it, those of us who live there would! :(

Easier said than done. It's difficult to explain the resignation and hopelessness some folks have towards their lives. Many of these people exist without hope for some type of meaningful future. I'm not trying to justify or excuse bad or criminal behavior. I am just stating that there is a "why."

Unfortunately, our country lacks the political and moral will to do the hard work necessary to correct the injustices that created this situation.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Easier said than done. It's difficult to explain the resignation and hopelessness some folks have towards their lives. Many of these people exist without hope for some type of meaningful future. I'm not trying to justify or excuse bad or criminal behavior. I am just stating that there is a "why."

Unfortunately, our country lacks the political and moral will to do the hard work necessary to correct the injustices that created this situation.

You can't absolve these people of all blame. Just look at who they continue to elect too run their cities. What is it they say about continuing to do the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I hate to say it, but I think n2sooners is correct. You cannot lift another person up by their bootstraps, when they have no will to aid in said lifting. These people are as fully and completely exploited by their own "leaders" as they are any rich man across town or across the country, who happens to have more than they do.

While the reason they have no will might be relevant, the answer to that question will never lift a finger to improve their lot in life. Only, heart, will and courage will do that. The more of it they display, the more others will come to their aid and the easier the lift will be. :anyone:

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find it apalling that parents and families living in these conditions don't do something about it. If my neighborhood were suffering the same issue and the police didn't do something about it, those of us who live there would! :(

My point in the thread on inforebel....someones Got to stand for something......even if it means bypassing the "Law"??

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't absolve these people of all blame. Just look at who they continue to elect too run their cities. What is it they say about continuing to do the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

No one is absolving people for their own hand in their misery. Personal responsibility is crucial. However, we have to try a different approach. Your rhetorical question about repeating the same behavior is just as applicable to "us" as to "them."

I hate to say it, but I think n2sooners is correct. You cannot lift another person up by their bootstraps, when they have no will to aid in said lifting.

The boot straps analogy presupposes everyone has a pair of boots. Most don't.

These people are as fully and completely exploited by their own "leaders" as they are any rich man across town or across the country, who happens to have more than they do.

A major problem is the self-interest of the self-proclaimed leaders of this community. They are masters at milking old wounds for maximum self-benefit, with no regard to the good of the community as a whole.

While the reason they have no will might be relevant, the answer to that question will never lift a finger to improve their lot in life. Only, heart, will and courage will do that. The more of it they display, the more others will come to their aid and the easier the lift will be. :anyone:

If you simply treat symptoms, without treating the underlying condition, nothing will ever change.

No one is suggesting that bad or criminal behavior be excused, simply that we have to try a different approach that treats the root cause.

However, it won't happen. Things will just continue on as they are, with all of us increasingly more fragmented and miserable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom