‘Stand your ground’ law protects shooter in deadly fight over parking space: sheriff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
don't go around physically attacking people if you don't want to get shot. /end

most of us learn in grade school that violence is not an appropriate way to deal with things. if you behave like that, sooner or later you're going to shove the wrong guy and it won't turn out so well for you.

Seems simple enough but it's obviously not or we wouldn't be having this conversation and heading towards another round of social discord.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree, after all, is it really civilized to allow the birth of deformed children? it's the same reason we as a society have banned incest. the victim in such a situation is the child, born with hereditary problems that could have been prevented. It's not like we don't have plenty of kids up for adoption in this country.

Recently it came out that Iceland had all but eliminated Down's syndrome, everybody cheered and thought it was great, then it was revealed that it was due to testing and women deciding not to have them and then it was akin to genocide.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? It's my understanding that it hasn't been overturned, at least not completely.
In 2001, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit cited Buck v. Bell to protect the constitutional rights of a woman coerced into sterilization without procedural due process.[23] The court stated that error and abuse will result if the state does not follow the procedural requirements, established by Buck v. Bell, for performing an involuntary sterilization.

So was Holmes a Nazi because much of what I've seen says he wasn't really a progressive.

Back to the original subject, what about the studies showing links between genetics and crime? If there's enough to be used in court to help excuse criminals where do we draw the line in using it to the benefit of society? I know tough stuff and slippery slope but it appears we might be heading towards facing it. Some time back there was a discussion here about the financial and societal cost brought on by the changes in the treatment of the mentally ill, what happens when those cost push us towards changing things again?
Holmes was a progressive sympathizer, at least, earlier in his life; his views evolved. And I agree that it hasn't been overruled completely, which is why I said overruled as applied to punitive sterilization.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
don't go around physically attacking people if you don't want to get shot. /end

most of us learn in grade school that violence is not an appropriate way to deal with things. if you behave like that, sooner or later you're going to shove the wrong guy and it won't turn out so well for you.
When did simple misdemeanor battery become a capital offense?

We also learned that stealing is wrong. Going to start hanging your neighbor for taking your newspaper (look it up, kids!).

Proportionality, people.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

We also learned that stealing is wrong. Going to start hanging your neighbor for taking your newspaper (look it up, kids!).

Proportionality, people.

It's different.

If he's willing to use violence over something this small and stupid, and has no self control, he's a danger to society. He probably uses violence because he's gotten his way like that before. Physically intimidating people. Not acceptable behaviour in a civilized society.

The only reason we heard about this time was because this time he ****ed with the wrong guy.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holmes was a progressive sympathizer, at least, earlier in his life; his views evolved. And I agree that it hasn't been overruled completely, which is why I said overruled as applied to punitive sterilization.

So according to the Eighth Cir. “involuntary sterilization is not always unconstitutional.” And to further the issue, "More recently, 150 inmates were sterilized without their consent in California prisons between 2006 and 2010. Last summer, a Tennessee judge offered inmates reduced jail time in exchange for undergoing vasectomies or receiving contraceptive implants." The same thing happened here recently, a woman in court who had around seven kids, all of them drug babies was offered a reduced sentence if she got sterilized. Most opinion on social media went nuts saying her right to be a mother was violated which raises the sticky subject of who's rights are more important the mom's or the kids and their resulting cost to society. It would seem at least to some extent that the shooting case is similar since no matter how it's being spun the question is where the rights of the shooter to self defense rank as opposed to the rights of the deceased to not be bothered and attack someone for doing so.

https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/...-sterilization-case-buck-v-bell-still-matters

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Proportionality, people.

Earlier in the thread you dismissed his prior cocaine arrest as not having any bearing in the situation. If his tox screen comes back showing he was coked up which can make some much meaner and quite possibly be perceived by someone in a conflict with him would that to you be a possible cause for the shooter to have more fear and be a factor in why he shot when those judging without being in the situation say it was wrong?

Last edited:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's different.

If he's willing to use violence over something this small and stupid, and has no self control, he's a danger to society. He probably uses violence because he's gotten his way like that before. Physically intimidating people. Not acceptable behaviour in a civilized society.

The only reason we heard about this time was because this time he ****ed with the wrong guy.
Misdemeanor battery is still not a capital offense. If the battery didn't rise to the level of causing a reasonable man to fear for his life, the shooting isn't justified.

Look, in my criminal law class, I'm the smartarse who, when discussing the Felony Murder Rule, and the prof said "there's no such thing as misdemeanor murder," said "sure there is; misdemeanor murder is when the value of the life of the decedent does not exceed $20." A few in class snickered; the prof shot me a dirty look (he was from Massachusetts; he also didn't appreciate me knocking the Frogman of the Chappaquiddick a couple of times).

I get that society is probably better off without him. But there are rules for the use of lethal force in self defense, and "he needed killin'" isn't it. And, again, his prior behavior, unless known to the shooter at the time of the incident, can't be used to justify the shooting, as it can't affect his state of mind at that time.
Earlier in the thread you dismissed his prior cocaine arrest as not having any bearing in the situation. If his tox screen comes back showing he was coked up which can make some much meaner and quite possibly be perceived by someone in a conflict with him would that to you be a possible cause for the shooter to have more fear and be a factor in why he shot when those judging without being in the situation say it was wrong?
I'd say that the prior arrests, if unknown to the shooter, are still irrelevant. However, the tox screen becomes highly relevant, though circumstantial: they don't actually prove he was more violent, just suggest a predisposition. Circumstantial evidence is admissible, though.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They did park in an illegal spot if not handicapped. It's a fine in Ok. Not a shootable offence though unless one wishes to escalate the situation.

Right. I've seen it happen several times at QT. Now I know that if they had kids with them.... among other variables.....they were robbing or shoplifting and planning to make a quick get away. They were obviously going to Woooha some snickers with the 5 yr old and needed to make a quick getaway, just around the corner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom