10/22 Barrel Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So my first gun was a Ruger 10/22 in 1996 stainless with regular sized barrel. I would like to upgrade it to a stainless bull barrel.

What do I need to do to replace the barrel?

Can I use the factory stock?

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wood stock, and I dont want to mess it up. Meaning I don't mind elbow grease but I would rather pay someone to do it so it doesn't get messed up

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many years ago I replaced my barrel with a Green Mountain, fluted tapered barrel . A full bull barrel changes the weight and balance of the rifle . My rifle balances just in front of the magazine. The trigger was tuned with Valquartson parts .Once in a while I use it in the sillywett game.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So my first gun was a Ruger 10/22 in 1996 stainless with regular sized barrel. I would like to upgrade it to a stainless bull barrel.

What do I need to do to replace the barrel?

Can I use the factory stock?
Lots of good information helping you here. Two tools is all you need. A flat head screwdriver and an Allen wrench.

The flat head will take off the barrel band and loosen the receiver from the stock.

Then the Allen wrench to remove the wedge that holds the barrel to the receiver.

Like other said, you can modify your stock, but it won’t work as is with the new barrel. The channel will have to be widened.

Or you could just spend some money and get a new stock of your choice. The choices are endless. The 10/22, it’s like the AR15 when it comes to aftermarket accessories. There are tons of options.

Latest posts

Top Bottom