10-22 vs M&P15-22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armedmomma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. The argument that the 10-22 is cheaper doesn't really apply to me. For some reason , I can't just buy a standard stock gun no matter what it is. If I go with the 10-22... Will have to go with the stainless machined barrel and a fancy stock. By the time I get done with it, I'm looking at an easy $600.

I do like the thought of him passing it on to his kids and the 10-22 seems to be the gun for that.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree with the majority. If I was 13 years old, I would much rather have a M&P15-22. Hell, I'd rather have a M&P 15-22 over a 10/22 at any age. I've shot an uber modified, tacticool 10/22 and a stock M&P 15-22. I preferred the M&P15-22. Not to mention, it will teach him the manual of arms on what he will later own - an AR15.

I've heard a few scattered reports online of issues with the M&P, but you hear that about every single gun ever produced. I had an M&P 15-22 that blew through several thousand rounds flawlessly. It was nearly just as accurate as my CZ452, which is way more accurate than any 10/22 I've seen.

Either way, he'll love whatever he gets!

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not just buy a .22 conversion kit for a real AR and be done with it? Then you have two guns in one.

Yep. If cost isn't a concern...

...I'd probably have to go with a tricked 10/22 over the M&P 15-22. I do like how light the M&P is though.

..."Cool Factor" is a big deal to a 13year old kids though...

....at the same time, to an "anti-gun" person, a 13 year old with what looks like an M-16 could cause a potential problem...Remember this is the age of Facebook and MySpace, and I'll bet dollars to peso's a picture of him with the rifle will end up getting posted...just saying.

...If he likes the M&P, you might also look at the Sig 522

Armedmomma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did look at the Sig. It was pretty sweet.
I know the FB thing has already come up once or twice. I just kindly invite those "concerned" ( nosy, paranoid, anti gun nuts) to come over to the house any time night or day and try and find a gun in my house accessible to a child without my or dad's help.
They are all locked up in safes with an unknown combo to said child. Ammo locked in different safe with mags.

The only firearms in my house that are loaded are either on me or my husband, or locked in an individual pistol safe.

Kills me how people just assume...I'm sure in someone's mind we're one of "those" families. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom