11/1 is coming, will you go open?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because it's fun?

Also, because it's our constitutional right?

I'm all for open carry. However, flaunting and spectactles will cause more signs to go up. Then you will have to conceal carry to pass the sign. It's best to let the sheeple get slowly accustomed to firearms in public view.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm all for open carry. However, flaunting and spectactles will cause more signs to go up. Then you will have to conceal carry to pass the sign. It's best to let the sheeple get slowly accustomed to firearms in public view.

Your assumption is that OC is flaunting and creating a spectacle. Neither of which are inherently true.

Maybe you'll slowly get accustomed to the idea of firearms in public view.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your assumption is that OC is flaunting and creating a spectacle. Neither of which are inherently true.

Maybe you'll slowly get accustomed to the idea of firearms in public view.

You misunderstand. Responsible open carry is not flaunting or creating a spectacle. A group of people doing the Wal-mart walk with tactical thigh holsters or carrying the largest handgun you can possibly fit on your hip is a spectacle.

By the way, I can assure you that I'm already accustomed to firearms in public. I've been carrying since CC was originally passed. I also see guns in public on a weekly basis - shooting competitively at the gun clubs and never missing an opportunity for the onion burger at H&H Gun Range.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I imagine complete open carry will probably go over better with the general public than partial open carry.

The sheeple will see a handgun being carried fully open and be concerned about it, but figure the person wouldn't be carrying that way if it wasn't illegal. But they may see a partially hiden handgun and might think to themselves that the guy is trying to hide it... so maybe he / she shouldn't have one... or why else would they be trying to hide it?

I'm in agreement with this.

When I carry it will be either Concealed, or Open. No half way concealed.

I also won't carry open much either. Due to the fact I prefer to go unnoticed.

Will depend on the circumstances and attire. One of the restaurants I go to when I visit the city has a regular group of plain clothes police that go there for lunch. If I walk in there wearing slacks and a nice sports jacket I am willing to bet that the regular customers will think that I am just another cop. If I open carry in the same restaurant wearing my biker garb I will probably receive a bit of attention from them.

Hadn't thought about open carry on Nov first as a freedom walk though.

Michael

Same here. Dress clean and sharp, most would just assume plain-clothes officer.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You misunderstand. Responsible open carry is not flaunting or creating a spectacle. A group of people doing the Wal-mart walk with tactical thigh holsters or carrying the largest handgun you can possibly fit on your hip is a spectacle.

You stated that open carry would "invite trouble, create a spectacle, or stir-up controversy".

Now you've further mentioned "responsible" open carry, without a spectacle. Now, if, as you say, open carry itself creates a spectacle, do you really feel there can be such a thing as "responsible" open carry?

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You stated that open carry would "invite trouble, create a spectacle, or stir-up controversy".

Now you've further mentioned "responsible" open carry, without a spectacle. Now, if, as you say, open carry itself creates a spectacle, do you really feel there can be such a thing as "responsible" open carry?

I stand by my statements. There is a difference between responsible open carry and some idiot trying to draw attention to the fact that he is carrying a weapon simply to make a statement.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just love these threads. If I had a dollar for every time the word sheeple was used I would be rich. Most of the comments tend to show that gun owners are sheeple too just from a different heard. They tend to think that the public will be scared of guns. The honest truth is while working at Loomis and wearing a uniform I still had people surprised that I was carrying a gun. Sorry to disappoint some people on here, however the truth is most of the public either does not care or does not pay enough attention to notice you open carrying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom