17 HMR Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've killed a coyote out my backdoor to the fence at 130 yards. Dropped in its tracks. I shot a coyote on another occasion at around 40 yards and he ran off. A week later, I called the same spot and the same coyote came in again, limping. I shot him at about 30 yards in the frontal chest and he ran off again.
IMHO, I like a little bigger gun to hunt yotes. But this gun is a blast to shoot!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Head shot=dead 'yote. Every time. Drop dead right now with not even any kicking. Longest to date 150 yards.

This is not me, but a hunting buddy whose house is really in the boonies. He has a "pet" roadrunner, and the coyotes really want to eat it. I think he's up to four with the .17, and he has lost count of the .243 kills before he bought the rimfire.

I have fired the gun several times. Pond turtles are all about gone. This is the CZ bolt gun, and it's very accurate. CB

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have two. Deadly accurate. And the bonus, with the high FPS these things generate, they aughta set of that explosive target compound!

I'll sure let you know anyway!

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys.... On the 10/22 platform, I am looking at getting the Volquartsen TG2000 made from billet alum. Will that work with the 17HMR barrel?

The blow back semi autos have had trouble with the 17HMR. The timing has to be just right in order for the action to cycle and not open too soon while the chamber pressure is still dangerously high to be opening.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 10/22 in .17hm2 which is the little brother to the .17hmr... I had trouble with the situation that Dustin describes, even with a weighted charging handle. I'd lean toward a bolt or non-semi automatic rifle for this round. My Dad has a nice little lever rifle in .17hmr that he was always happy with although I haven't spent any time with it as of yet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The blow back semi autos have had trouble with the 17HMR. The timing has to be just right in order for the action to cycle and not open too soon while the chamber pressure is still dangerously high to be opening.

Same problem with the AMT .22mag automag pistol. The action would open before the pressure would subside. They corrected it by doing some very light engraving on the inner chamber allowing friction to slow things down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom