1911 build help...filed the sear too short

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my hammer wouldnt locke all the way down with the slide, but with slight thumb pressure it would get there. my buddy told me to file the disconnector shorter, but instead i filed the sear down. he said the little "c" shaped part. so after that i filed it down until it no longer catches. i filed down the ears that stick down towards the bottom and i assume engage on the disconnector. my question is, since i filed the wrong part shorter, when i shorten the disconnector up correctly, will the sear then engage the hammer? or am i boned. btw, never built one of these up, and never owned one. i realize i should have looked into the workings better before i blindly started filing on ****. so i dont wanna hear any :angry3: finger wagging or name calling, please just answer the question if you have the knowledge! thank you! i will post pics later....

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, now you know you just opened a huge can of worms. No way you're coming out of this unscathed! :comfort:

If it were me, I'd just replace the part that I filed down.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You dumb sack of **** *** *** **** * ******* ** ********* ** * ***.

:)

j/k kidding of course.

Okay first off, am I understanding that you are saying the slide won't cock the hammer when you rack it, right? If that is the case, the only part you should have filed on is the hammer hooks. This is the part of the hammer that engages the sear.

See this:
http://www.m1911.org/full_1911desc.htm

As you're looking at the left side of the hammer, put your hammer hooks at 12:00... (the hammer hooks are the smaller notches on the lower side of the hammer that has a split between them where the strut goes). Once you're looking at the hammer as I said, you should have filed the hammer hooks towards the 1:00 position... notice I said "towards" though... not all the way to it... just take off a little bit. What this will do (watch the animation I posted) is allow the hammer to cock earlier, in other words, it doesn't have to be pushed back as far to cock.

The disconnecter should not be touched, really ever.

The sear has two angles on it that you don't really want to mess with unless you know what you're doing (you can fine-tune the action by adjusting the angles). The nose is the only part one would adjust for tuning, not the feet.

You are welcome to put your parts in the mail and send them to me and I'll be glad to try to salvage them for you... but you're probably going to want to get a new sear and disconnecter.

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd just replace the part that I filed down.

ha ha your pic is funny. ya i planned on replacing it, but i wondered if the parts would come back into the correct relationship when the disconnector is of the correct length. but that is assuming that the sear comes longer than it needs to be. i think usually the disconnector comes longer in these cheap kits but no the sear? any one here local in okc sell the sears?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may help you too:
ai129.photobucket.com_albums_p232_niemi24s_P086160004c.jpg

And another good one:
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=10996

Let us know what you have going on. :)

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should take it to Dr. Greyson to tell you what is wrong with it. Modifying the sear & disconnect can make it unsafe & if the fail to engage illegal (gun could go full auto). Barry is a very knowledgeable & competent smith. He can get you fixed up. Good luck, but be careful. I'd at the very least have someone knowledgeable inspect it before you shoot it again.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should take it to Dr. Greyson to tell you what is wrong with it. Modifying the sear & disconnect can make it unsafe & if the fail to engage illegal (gun could go full auto). Barry is a very knowledgeable & competent smith. He can get you fixed up. Good luck, but be careful. I'd at the very least have someone knowledgeable inspect it before you shoot it again.

I guess I should have issued that statement and disclaimer too... :)

Thanks Wall! :)

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

^^ If anyone can get it straight, Barry can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom