1911 build help...filed the sear too short

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, there you have it. :)

DBG does make a good point though about the M&P trigger job that I should have caught earlier.

I'm all about doing things on the cheap, and salvaging what I can... but that's when they're within normal spec, and being as how you've already filed on the disconnecter and sear... he is likely right about it.

When filing the hammer hooks, you must keep them square, otherwise you'll never have a smooth, consistent trigger pull.

Now, on to your pictures... is it just me or does the left leaf look like it's bent to the right?

Is that Sarco's "commercial" slide? Is it cut for Novak's already? I actually kind of like the look of the serrations.

not sure about the slide. they had already installed the sights. as far as blindly filing goes, my buddy said file on specific part, i did. i am not gonna go test fire it in front of a freaking school for cripes sake! no where in here did i say i was gonna be shooting it. i know its hard when i didnt make a novel outta what i was trying to do. especially when i am asking dumb ass amateur questions. and i do find value in other peoples time. however i am generally capable. according to h and hs trigger pull scale i am down to 5.5 lbs. and according to the boards, one of the best m and p smiths i out near philly and they only charge 45 for it. i was also following step by step instuctions with the m and p. and yes, i have been unemployed for 3 weeks now and getting ready to start a job that i get paid half of what i used to

ah, and whats more, i dont like waiting to have work done. seems to me the better known a good person is the harder it is to actually have people work on your stuff. just another facet to this gem of an issue. and yea, i plan on just buying a new sear, no harm no foul.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not sure about the slide. they had already installed the sights. as far as blindly filing goes, my buddy said file on specific part, i did. i am not gonna go test fire it in front of a freaking school for cripes sake! no where in here did i say i was gonna be shooting it. i know its hard when i didnt make a novel outta what i was trying to do. especially when i am asking dumb ass amateur questions. and i do find value in other peoples time. however i am generally capable. according to h and hs trigger pull scale i am down to 5.5 lbs. and according to the boards, one of the best m and p smiths i out near philly and they only charge 45 for it. i was also following step by step instuctions with the m and p. and yes, i have been unemployed for 3 weeks now and getting ready to start a job that i get paid half of what i used to

ah, and whats more, i dont like waiting to have work done. seems to me the better known a good person is the harder it is to actually have people work on your stuff. just another facet to this gem of an issue. and yea, i plan on just buying a new sear, no harm no foul.

Did you know that one of (if not THE) best M&P smith this side of the Mississippi is on this board? :)

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on Ol Yeller. I tried one of his 2lb competition M&P trigger jobs the other day ....sweeeet :thumbup3:

Plus he usually testfires the pistol which means driving to the range which costs time and ammo, translation money. You don't get that for $45.00.

I know that having to accept a job at half the pay you are use to getting sucks, however it does not have anything to do with mitigating the fact that you are dealing with systems that control a deadly weapon. I know that there are only 3 parts that you think you are working with but you also disregarded the hammer strut and the mainspring housing. I still suggest getting the drop in kit from C&S
and if it doesn't work call me and I'll see what I can do for you.

Barry

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Olyeller, where you been?
He's not just some pretty face (not pretty at all, HaHa), the man's a magician.

I thought that might be who, but there is also honeybee, and dr. greyson. I am not sure what all dr. greyson does. I have only heard of his 1911 exploits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom