1911 build help...filed the sear too short

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since there has been no more discussion and I haven't received any calls for any help I presume that you are going to go ahead on your own. If you are really going to do this I have an EGW hard sear that would replace the over filed part. PM me for the cost of the sear if you want to stay in town with your parts. The sear is new in package ...that is the only representation I will make about it
Sincerely - Dr. G

ya, that would be great. i would suggest putting your phone # in your sig. no? that way it makes getting ahold of ya one step easier. i will be interested in your sear, however.

i called h and h and they have a nolan but they are just so pleasant over there i can hardly stand it! no telephone manners or hints at attempting niceties.

Or you could PM him like he suggested

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ya, that would be great. i would suggest putting your phone # in your sig. no? that way it makes getting ahold of ya one step easier. i will be interested in your sear, however.

i called h and h and they have a nolan but they are just so pleasant over there i can hardly stand it! no telephone manners or hints at attempting niceties.
:withstupi
Dude, people are trying to help you here and you're sarcasm and flippant comments are making you look pretty petty.:flamed:
You came in here asking for help but you also demeaned the livelihood of alot of gunsmiths. There's a reason people know names like Dr. Greyson (master 1911 smith), Mike Cyrwus (pistol smith to Phil Strader), Chuck Rogers (master 1911 smith), Virgil Tripp (master 1911 smith), Les Baer (commercialized master 1911 smith), etc.
While you are exactly right, it's not rocket surgery, it is a very specialized profession (or hobby) that requires intimate knowledge of the components and how they interact so as not to cause harm (or death) to the user or bystanders when the product is finished.
It's no wonder that Barry was a little perturbed by your statement but, you know what, he still wanted to help you make it right. That, right there, should have shown you what a great person and serious professional he is.

Knowing how the sear works doesn't cut it. Knowing how it works in relation to the dozen other parts, the tolerances required when changing parts, and the function of the pistol overall when changes are made is what makes it less than rocket surgery but more difficult than a guy with a file and some screwdrivers should take on. if you want to tinker, that's very cool, but you still need someone to bounce ideas off of and learn from.

If you truly want help, Barry is the guy. He will give you all of the information you want. He loves to talk about 1911's and how they work. But you have to lose the attitude.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
less than rocket surgery but more difficult than a guy with a file and some screwdrivers should take on.

But you have to lose the attitude.

You're taking all the fun out of my week. I've been watching the news waiting to hear about someone's 1911 launching 8 rounds FA, through the side of their house.

A fellow actually had that happen, in Wichita, around 1990 or so. Pretty spectacular, I understand. I believe his GF crapped herself while in the shower, since 3 of the rounds sailed through the shower stall.:bigeye: But, of course, all that tolerance stuff is just sooo overblown...:wink2:

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're taking all the fun out of my week. I've been watching the news waiting to hear about someone's 1911 launching 8 rounds FA, through the side of their house.

A fellow actually had that happen, in Wichita, around 1990 or so. Pretty spectacular, I understand. I believe his GF crapped herself while in the shower, since 3 of the rounds sailed through the shower stall.:bigeye: But, of course, all that tolerance stuff is just sooo overblown...:wink2:

A buddy had something like that happen with a brand new Auto Ordnance 45 about 20 years ago. He found out the hard way that they were having quality control and perhaps financial issues at the time.

He started with a full mag. The first trigger pull resulted in a double (2 rounds downrange). Before I could say anything, he pulled the trigger again and it tripled (3 shots downrange with the last one over the berm; hope it didn't hit a cow). He took the pistol apart later that day. It was full of used, crappy, unfitted, junk parts.... He trashed those and replaced them with good Wilson parts and the pistol has worked great since then.

Unsolicited advice: when you do get around to firing this homemade 1911, start with only snap caps in the mag and make sure the hammer won't follow just from dropping the slide and loading the snap cap. Do that 20-30 times before even thinking about testing with live ammo. From there, only load 1 live round in the mag each time for the next 25-50 rounds. For each mag, first load a snap cap (or dummy round) then load the 1 live round. That will show if the pistol is going to double (or worse) without spraying bullets everywhere.

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
mountains out of mole hills.

ha ha who are you talking too?

but ya thats kinda what i thought. ah, the anonymity of the internet.

thanks to everyone that was actually helpful!!!!

when i said screw professionals i was referring to h and h. i dont like there attitude. the sizzle of the steak has to be sold. so i apologize if i offended anyone, that did sound pretty rude of me.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was referring to 1911user's method of testing... it's nice and all, but over-kill in my opinion.

OK, what would you consider reasonable for the initial checkout and test firing of his pistol? I'm willing to learn better ways of doing things.

Don't forget the mixed origin of his parts and self-admitted lack of knowledge/experience with the 1911 fire control system. I have no doubt he can learn how everything fits and works together; hopefully all the bullets stay in the berm or bullet trap during that learning period. Keeping the pistol from going full-auto is a very good start for that goal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom