1911 build help...filed the sear too short

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, what would you consider reasonable for the initial checkout and test firing of his pistol? I'm willing to learn better ways of doing things.

Don't forget the mixed origin of his parts and self-admitted lack of knowledge/experience with the 1911 fire control system. I have no doubt he can learn how everything fits and works together; hopefully all the bullets stay in the berm or bullet trap during that learning period. Keeping the pistol from going full-auto is a very good start for that goal.

Wasn't saying you were wrong... just kinda over kill. :)

I had a better one, but for the life of me can't find it.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=31146

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well ..."here is the straight skinny"-lol

There will be no initial test firing of this pistol the way it is now or possibly ever=lol. Oh, btw, SD gave me permission to summarize my assessment here on O.S.A..
The frame is Aluminum and made by" RTM" (?)... The frame throat is WAY over contoured and would need a steel insert. The lower left MSH pin hole and ear in the frame is broken off and would have to be welded up and the pin hole re-drilled and the ear re-milled for the MSH slot and proper fit. The slide will not cock the hammer because the firing pin stop slides by without contacting the top of the hammer to push it down and let the sear engage the hammer hooks( it will engage if manually thumb cocked). It could be made to work by "Tigging" up the top of the hammer and re-establishing the flat about .020" higher. At this point I didn't want to waste anymore time to find out if the hammer holes on the frame were "off-drilled." So I called Caspian and talked to Gary Smith and got Fosters website info.. For $129 and change we could get a new frame with a slight cosmetic Blemish and SD could have a "shot" at rebuilding the pistol, and having it work safely and reliably. The way it stands now the pistol is a total" PITA" and a "total POS" as well...not worth the time and/or effort to try to make a "silk purse from a sows ear" with this frame and Sarco parts.(Hmmm...how's that for a run on sentence-lol)
I was happy to evaluate this for SD and he knows if he needs any help in the future he can call me. And, just so you know he is an "A&P" mechanic and knows his way around tools :):):) however, A&P doesn't always translate to "1911"...
SD... I hope I got the summary of your pistol and the ensuing frustration to your satisfaction?:drunk5:
Barry

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well ..."here is the straight skinny"-lol

There will be no initial test firing of this pistol the way it is now or possibly ever=lol. Oh, btw, SD gave me permission to summarize my assessment here on O.S.A..
The frame is Aluminum and made by" RTM" (?)... The frame throat is WAY over contoured and would need a steel insert. The lower left MSH pin hole and ear in the frame is broken off and would have to be welded up and the pin hole re-drilled and the ear re-milled for the MSH slot and proper fit. The slide will not cock the hammer because the firing pin stop slides by without contacting the top of the hammer to push it down and let the sear engage the hammer hooks( it will engage if manually thumb cocked). It could be made to work by "Tigging" up the top of the hammer and re-establishing the flat about .020" higher. At this point I didn't want to waste anymore time to find out if the hammer holes on the frame were "off-drilled." So I called Caspian and talked to Gary Smith and got Fosters website info.. For $129 and change we could get a new frame with a slight cosmetic Blemish and SD could have a "shot" at rebuilding the pistol, and having it work safely and reliably. The way it stands now the pistol is a total" PITA" and a "total POS" as well...not worth the time and/or effort to try to make a "silk purse from a sows ear" with this frame and Sarco parts.(Hmmm...how's that for a run on sentence-lol)
I was happy to evaluate this for SD and he knows if he needs any help in the future he can call me. And, just so you know he is an "A&P" mechanic and knows his way around tools :):):) however, A&P doesn't always translate to "1911"...
SD... I hope I got the summary of your pistol and the ensuing frustration to your satisfaction?:drunk5:
Barry

Man... that's a mess... if I didn't know any better, I would think my Father-in-Law was somehow in the middle of it all. :)

FWIW, the three Foster frames I have really weren't all that "blemished"... maybe just a tiny little bit of surface rust that blasts away when I go to Cerakote them.

So what is salvageable? Is the slide?

Can't say I've ever heard of RTM... :scratch:

Welp, you might as well just let DBG build you a new one... :) Spend the money now and you'll have it for the rest of your life...

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
slide appears to be okay , but I reserve the right to change my mind-lol.
I did not measure the slide bottom rail thickness and the distance the disconnector rail is above the frame, which would affect the hammer - firing pin stop relationship. .. never had to measure that before!....very interesting!!!:)
BJG

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ha ha ha. as an update. sarco is taking there parts kit back, and the frame is RMT outta northern california. alls well that ends well. at least i got hooked up with the right people so hwen it comes down to actually putting a nice 1911 toether i know when to call. ps, i now have a egw sear and a wilson mag if anyone wants to buy it, lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom