1911 build help...filed the sear too short

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought that might be who, but there is also honeybee, and dr. greyson. I am not sure what all dr. greyson does. I have only heard of his 1911 exploits.

Here is the way I look at it....
Ol'Yeller is known for his M&P work being fantastic, this doesn't rule out all of the other stuff he can do... but illustrates his M&P work is top-notch.
Dr. Barry is known for his 1911 goodness...
Honeybee is a genius for finishes, especially classic finishes.

All of them are great at other things, but from meeting each of them and spending a good amount of time with all of them (not so much 'Yeller), these seem to me to be what they really specialize and excel in.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would echo Dr. Grayson, who has far more hands-on with 1911s than I ever will. I would (somewhat) agree with you on the prices of some smithing services, and yes, they are a part of the reason I learned to "roll my own" as well.

Having said that, if you're going to do it, buy, and learn to use, the correct tools. Jerry Kuhnhausen's 1911 manual (AFIK) is still THE Bible for 1911 info, runs about $30. Also, I have never filed on a 1911 sear; I have (fine->extra fine)stoned a few. Not saying it may not need to be done, I just haven't encountered any parts that far off. The metal removal is far less drastic with stones. In turn, jigs make stoning far more precise. A basic jig and basic stones will run you around $100-150...

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would echo Dr. Grayson, who has far more hands-on with 1911s than I ever will. I would (somewhat) agree with you on the prices of some smithing services, and yes, they are a part of the reason I learned to "roll my own" as well.

Having said that, if you're going to do it, buy, and learn to use, the correct tools. Jerry Kuhnhausen's 1911 manual (AFIK) is still THE Bible for 1911 info, runs about $30. Also, I have never filed on a 1911 sear; I have (fine->extra fine)stoned a few. Not saying it may not need to be done, I just haven't encountered any parts that far off. The metal removal is far less drastic with stones. In turn, jigs make stoning far more precise. A basic jig and basic stones will run you around $100-150...

I use a Marvel sear jig and Brownell's stone kit... it's a good combo.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have torn down and put back together my 1911 Gold Cup 200+ times during the slow process of learning how my 1911 works.

read every tuning article and watch every 1911 Gunsmith video I could get my hands on.... really proud of how smooth my Gold Cup now runs!!! still feel like a real beginner next to the expertise on OSA.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
have torn down and put back together my 1911 Gold Cup 200+ times during the slow process of learning how my 1911 works.

read every tuning article and watch every 1911 Gunsmith video I could get my hands on.... really proud of how smooth my Gold Cup now runs!!! still feel like a real beginner next to the expertise on OSA.

This is my story EXACTLY... let me guess... your Wife get's bothered with you taking up the PC reading about them too doesn't she??? :)

Mine will only let me watch the DVD's when she isn't around. :hey3:

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since there has been no more discussion and I haven't received any calls for any help I presume that you are going to go ahead on your own. If you are really going to do this I have an EGW hard sear that would replace the over filed part. PM me for the cost of the sear if you want to stay in town with your parts. The sear is new in package ...that is the only representation I will make about it
Sincerely - Dr. G

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since there has been no more discussion and I haven't received any calls for any help I presume that you are going to go ahead on your own. If you are really going to do this I have an EGW hard sear that would replace the over filed part. PM me for the cost of the sear if you want to stay in town with your parts. The sear is new in package ...that is the only representation I will make about it
Sincerely - Dr. G

That's a good sear... and when they say "hard"... they mean it.

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sincerely - Dr. G

ya, that would be great. i would suggest putting your phone # in your sig. no? that way it makes getting ahold of ya one step easier. i will be interested in your sear, however.

i called h and h and they have a nolan but they are just so pleasant over there i can hardly stand it! no telephone manners or hints at attempting niceties.

Latest posts

Top Bottom