1911 vs Glock Gen4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have a Gen 3, why do you want a Gen 4? If its just the grip size, get with RobarG19 and have him do a grip reduction. You wont regret it. I did one on my Glock 19 myself and I like the grip even better than the Gen4. I'll post pics of it when I get a chance.

Razorback01

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have a Gen 3, why do you want a Gen 4? If its just the grip size, get with RobarG19 and have him do a grip reduction. You wont regret it. I did one on my Glock 19 myself and I like the grip even better than the Gen4. I'll post pics of it when I get a chance.

I want a back up for my carry gun and thought it would be a good way to try out a Gen4. I actually really like the factory grip size on the Gen3...just intrigued by the new guns as well.

Razorback01

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
for the price the glock gen 4 is hard to beat

^^This^^

They're both great guns but they just do things differently. My advice would be to get a gen 4 glock and shoot the piss out of it for a couple of weeks. Then decide what gen you like better and get rid of one of the 17s. Glocks are so utilitarian, there's really no good reason to collect duplicates. Then in maybe a month or so you will have had time to really decide which 1911 you want and you can getcha one. But for god's sake man, don't get all chinsy with your money on a 1911. Get a nice one from the get go. But fwiw I have glocks and a nice 1911. I rarely shoot the 1911.

I agree completely on not skimping on a 1911. That's the situation...every time I start wanting one, I have trouble coming up with $1,000 or more for a pistol and I'd rather do without than to buy a gun that isn't exactly what I'm wanting.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the situation...every time I start wanting one, I have trouble coming up with $1,000 or more for a pistol and I'd rather do without than to buy a gun that isn't exactly what I'm wanting.

You should give a PT1911 a spin - it's a very good pistol, and despite all the Taurus bashing even haters agree that is a great value.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They PT1911 uses junk small parts and that hammer lock has turned guns into a single shot. Their current prices are a joke, they were deal when the first came out ~$425-450 because you actually have a forged frame and slide and you can replace all the small parts and have a good 1911. However, I'd rather spend the extra money and get a Ruger, pretty solid little 1911 for the money.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless your hand does not fit a Gen 3 Glock, you don't actually "need" a Gen 4. The Gen 4 works great for those with really small hands, and with provided beavertails, works fine for those with big hands. If you are happy with your Gen 3, as far as hand fit, leave well enough alone. The world of 1911's is complex, with prices all over the globe.

Give the Ruger 1911 a look. If you are willing to spend the money, the forged frame basic STI is a heck of a shooting machine for the bucks. Don't think I'd suggest the cast frame, made in the Philippines, job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom