2013-14 Deer Season Success

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice doe. I didn't see jack. Muggy and foggy. Looks like Saturday will be a good day with that cold front coming in Friday evening. I aint gonna hunt this afternoon. 88 is to hot for me. I'll save my time for colder temps.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was my experience with those....................do you usually have good blood trails?

Can't say they are outstanding trails, but I can't say they are outstanding shots either. I tend to shoot a little higher than what I could get away with. In my mind, a higher shot is not going to leave as good of a blood trail at first, compared to a lower shot on the cavity. With a lower shot, the body cavity does not have to fill with as much blood before it hits the hole and starts spurting out, so it is going to gush more, sooner. Higher shot it will have to fill more before it reaches the hole. I have no idea if that is accurate or not. I also don't see how three different broadheads, all being a three blade head, same diameter, can be any different on a passthrough shot. They all have the same footprint, assuming they are all razor sharp, I would think they would all do the same thing. Call me crazy, but that's the way I see it. Think it depends more on shot placement and angles than it does on broadhead.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got in a new stand this morning to be greeted by a large bodied deer crashing through the woods underneath another stand. No doubt it was spooked by another hunter. Right at shooting light, I had a young deer come into one of my shooting lanes at 25 yards. It was pretty jumpy and kept looking up the hill (where the other deer had come from as well). The deer calmed down and worked to within 10 yards. I was prepped to take a shot, and wanted the meat, but couldn't be 100% sure it wasn't a small spike. The deer worked into another shooting lane and hit my trail I walked in on. It started acting like a dog and followed my trail closer to the tree. It relaxed, started eating, and worked it's way out of site. Although I was meat hunting, and on public land, I didn't want to take a chance at it being a spike due to low light. As I arrived at my truck, I was greeted by the game warden. We chatted for a few minutes and I handed him my lifetime license I got this year. Damn, that felt good. All in all, I'm a little less stressed out and in a good mood today.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I got in my stand at 5:45 am this morning and ran three deer off that were all less than 40 yds. from my stand. They would blow at me, run a little ways, blow some more, run away and then blow some more. This went on for a good ten minutes, as I climbed my stand and got settled in for the morning hunt...

At 7:30 am, an 11 point came from my right hand side, stopped at 12 yds. and looked straight up at me! I froze and after a long 3 seconds, he put his head down and started walking away from me. He stopped and I ranged him at 27 yds.. I put the top crosshair in the center of his left hind quarter and gently squeezed the trigger. The deer bucked at the shot and collapsed. I watched him set up, with all four legs tucked up under him. After about 15 minutes, he started grunting and grunted for the next 30 minutes. After his last grunt, he just laid over and died...
i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_11_20point_20buck_009_zps256a5cea.jpg

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_11_20point_20buck_010_zps0dac33ae.jpg

This was the entrance wound in the hind quarter...
i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_11_20point_20buck_012_zps397ea53a.jpg

This is the exit wound through the front right shoulder. A solid 40" of penetration and the bolt stuck in the, right where the deer stood when shot...
i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_11_20point_20buck_017_zps6fc0bcb0.jpg

This is the hole left in the hide, where the crossbow bolt entered...
i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_11_20point_20buck_019_zps7fbc057e.jpg

Before you ask - why shoot a deer in the hind quarter on purpose? Simple! It is one of the deadliest shot placements there is. I say this from having shot well in excess of 100 deer during my bow hunting career. Why? The biggest reason is that the femoral artery runs through the center of the hind quarter and it will bleed a deer out just as fast as what a solid heart shot will. Second reason is that the sciatic nerve is a paralyzing shot and is why deer drop on the spot. Another reason, is that I have A-Holes living on three sides of my property. If a deer crosses my fence line and onto their property, I cannot go and get my deer, even if I can see it. By centering out the biggest muscle in the hind quarter and putting a crossbow bolt through it, the deer does not run off and I don't have to worry about nasty neighbors....

DAVID

Latest posts

Top Bottom