2013-14 Deer Season Success

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I deboned all the meat and put it in an ice chest with 60 lbs. of ice. The meat will stay on ice for 30 days, and at that time, I will grind it and get it ready for sausage and those big 'ol back straps will be turned into jerky at that time...

The carcass is now hanging from a tree - 682 yds. from my shooting bench! Coyote bait....:patriot:

DAVID

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you ask - why shoot a deer in the hind quarter on purpose? Simple! It is one of the deadliest shot placements there is. I say this from having shot well in excess of 100 deer during my bow hunting career. Why? The biggest reason is that the femoral artery runs through the center of the hind quarter and it will bleed a deer out just as fast as what a solid heart shot will. Second reason is that the sciatic nerve is a paralyzing shot and is why deer drop on the spot. Another reason, is that I have A-Holes living on three sides of my property. If a deer crosses my fence line and onto their property, I cannot go and get my deer, even if I can see it. By centering out the biggest muscle in the hind quarter and putting a crossbow bolt through it, the deer does not run off and I don't have to worry about nasty neighbors....

DAVID

David,

Nice shooting and wow 40" of penetration! Congrats. Sorry about 3/4's of your neighbors. I always say we are blessed and truly we are that everyone around us are like family and allow everyone to go get their deer. One has even said if you see does on his wheat to blast them and give them a bag of jerky!

Good luck everyone!

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I deboned all the meat and put it in an ice chest with 60 lbs. of ice. The meat will stay on ice for 30 days, and at that time, I will grind it and get it ready for sausage and those big 'ol back straps will be turned into jerky at that time...

The carcass is now hanging from a tree - 682 yds. from my shooting bench! Coyote bait....:patriot:

DAVID

Awesome!

Thats pretty much what I do as well. I dont wait for 30 days though, why do you do this?

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David,

Nice shooting and wow 40" of penetration! Congrats. Sorry about 3/4's of your neighbors. I always say we are blessed and truly we are that everyone around us are like family and allow everyone to go get their deer. One has even said if you see does on his wheat to blast them and give them a bag of jerky!

Good luck everyone!

Thank You!

I've got some of the best neighbors anyone could ever ask for BUT, they live a mile or two away...

You are Blessed if you have neighbors that are like family. I think everyone should be that way but, no such luck....

DAVID

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome!

Thats pretty much what I do as well. I dont wait for 30 days though, why do you do this?

It allows all the blood to drain out of the meat and to me, it makes the meat taste much better. It also makes the meat a little more tender and what I save and use for spaghetti and burger patties, also has a better taste and does not smell anything like deer meat. A lot of people eat the deer meat that I process myself but, will NOT touch deer meat from anyone else...

Drain the water out the bottom every couple of days and add a fresh bag of ice when needed. Everybody has their own way of doing things, and this is mine....

DAVID

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It allows all the blood to drain out of the meat and to me, it makes the meat taste much better. It also makes the meat a little more tender and what I save and use for spaghetti and burger patties, also has a better taste and does not smell anything like deer meat. A lot of people eat the deer meat that I process myself but, will NOT touch deer meat from anyone else...

Drain the water out the bottom every couple of days and add a fresh bag of ice when needed. Everybody has their own way of doing things, and this is mine....

DAVID

Nice.

When I grind mine up, I always add some beef fat. Adds great flavor and its free if you ask your local butcher for it.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beef Suet - I picked up 20 lbs. of that and a 15 lb. Boston butt that was on sale. I'll grind this up myself and with the right blend of spices, it all adds up to major YUMMY! :spaghetti:

Latest posts

Top Bottom